The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of the one piece molded bulkheads in the rear of the front box. These are what attaches the overflow to the aquarium. No other overflow system has a one piece design like ours. One piece molding eliminates any glued joints that can eventually leak over time. The front box is molded with 100% Polycarbonate making it virtually indestructible!
wl03fQEl.jpg

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Radion RMS mount still work with the overflow installed? Will the overflow need to be installed lower than recommended?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Radion RMS mount still work with the overflow installed? Will the overflow need to be installed lower than recommended?

We haven't tested it with that mount, but I'm sure if you lowered the overflow it should be fine.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm interested in running the Shadow overflow on a smaller tank, around 60 gallons. Would there be any issues with noise or function of the Shadow overflow if I use reducing plumbing fittings to go from your standard three 1.5" drains to three 1" drains in the rear box?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm interested in running the Shadow overflow on a smaller tank, around 60 gallons. Would there be any issues with noise or function of the Shadow overflow if I use reducing plumbing fittings to go from your standard three 1.5" drains to three 1" drains in the rear box?

We have people running our current version on tanks as small as 29 Gallons. It will work fine if you reduce the plumbing. This is why we opted for 1.5" as the standard. It allows technically for more flow, but can always be reduced down.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pictures of the molds that we had produced to make the Shadow. This is just one mold that we use to make the bulkhead nuts that hold the overflow onto the aquarium. These molds weigh about 1500 lbs.

Bulkhead Nut Core and Cavity 1.jpg

Bulkhead Nut Core and Cavity 2.jpg

And this is what they look like when they are done.
bulkheadnut.jpg

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the molds we use to make the weirs for the Shadow. We are able to produce 2 weirs at the same time with this mold. Every piece is identical, so no misaligned parts like hand built overflows.
Weir Cavity.jpg

Weir Core.jpg

And how it looks after it's molded. Smooth finish with no sharp or rough edges.
weir.jpg

Last edited:

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well based off all the fuss from this I've been lookn at overflows for my 75g and this seems like the best I haven't drilled yet incase something like this. Does it come with a templet what size holes. I was looken at eshopps

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well based off all the fuss from this I've been lookn at overflows for my 75g and this seems like the best I haven't drilled yet incase something like this. Does it come with a templet what size holes. I was looken at eshopps
Hey Chris, yes it comes with the template to drill it. It also comes with 2 removable weirs and the U- flow pipes. You won't be disappointed with this overflow. The eshopps overflows don't even compare.
How long does each piece take ? I can image it labor intensive
It can produce one part every 30 seconds on average. We have 7 molds that make up all the components of the Shadow.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got our T2 samples in yesterday. Everything is still on schedule for our first production run to be finished by mid November! Tool maker just has to put the final polishing on the tools and add textures. Couple cell phone shots. We will be making some videos with these running and how to install them over the next couple of weeks.

aeb489dc378612a748859c2b5749fa7c.jpg

264832c915ef8894fa39b283242b8836.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are the molds we use to make the weirs for the Shadow. We are able to produce 2 weirs at the same time with this mold. Every piece is identical, so no misaligned parts like hand built overflows.
Weir Cavity.jpg

Weir Core.jpg

And how it looks after it's molded. Smooth finish with no sharp or rough edges.
weir.jpg

This is just awesome!

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got our T2 samples in yesterday. Everything is still on schedule for our first production run to be finished by mid November! Tool maker just has to put the final polishing on the tools and add textures. Couple cell phone shots. We will be making some videos with these running and how to install them over the next couple of weeks.

Really looking forward to getting mine! As soon as I get mine in and installed my system gets water...

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to getting mine! As soon as I get mine in and installed my system gets water...

You and me both. Slowed my pace for the reboot a bit, but I'm sure I'll be glad I waited an extra month or two.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You and me both. Slowed my pace for the reboot a bit, but I'm sure I'll be glad I waited an extra month or two.

It will be well worth the wait. You will be glad you waited. I've been working on this for over 4 years, so it's very close now!

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front view

9502fc385226a611a9bd3cd3542b0c94.jpg

c8cc451a1aadeac26c13152f5069d1cb.jpg

Side view

f2dd74001bb0120c53e1f44922af5422.jpg

Rear box view. You can see here the true color of the rear box. It is translucent black/smoke. This will inhibit algae growth but still allow you to see the water level. The white swirls will not be there on the production models. These are still samples for fit purposes.

367929feccac397adcd7bc4686c05d7f.jpg

Inside rear box. All three fittings are 1.5". As you can see there really no bulkheads or seams in the rear box. This means no chance of leaking. No other overflow available offers this. No center bracing means your hands fit inside without getting stuck.

d970113914956ca07ecc2eb01896721f.jpg

Rear box lid. Notice the locking channel. This locks the lid in place providing structural support so we do not need center braces like older versions of the overflow. The lids also seals the box so water will not leak in the event of water level rising above the edge of the box. 100% polycarbonate construction is indestructible and will not warp. Again no other overflow offers anything else even close to this.

52929a4b6682729e76560eece2bdc9f5.jpg

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so because I'm stupid I just ordered this overflow for a tank I don't have yet (the stupid part) but figured I would pick it up while on sale and I'm deciding what tank I want to upgrade to.

Plus I can always use another t-shirt! :)

Quick question... what size tank max would be recommended for the Shadow?

thx

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so because I'm stupid I just ordered this overflow for a tank I don't have yet (the stupid part) but figured I would pick it up while on sale and I'm deciding what tank I want to upgrade to.

thx

I'm sure they'll chime in as well but the shadow box handles 1500gph so it will depend upon how much flow you plan to have going through your return pump into your display. At whatever gph for your tank size or return flow would exceed this you just need to add an additional overflow.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thx
Hey @jazzmik

It's a great deal right now, so actually it was a smart move! We recommend 1500 gph max as @DBR said. You can run multiples as well for more flow. Technically we have been testing these over the last few weeks and have been able to run a lot more flow thru them than 1500 gph. This is one reason we designed the Shadow with the 1.5" drain lines. Once we get them released I'm sure people will be pushing these to see what they can run through it. Thanks for your order!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back