Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today!

The tank was delivered!

IMG_8041.jpeg

IMG_8043.jpeg

IMG_8048.jpeg

I also got some work done on the mixing station…

IMG_8050.jpeg

…as well as the controller board and cabinet!

IMG_8056.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpeg

The only things left to purchase are the lid and the Tampa Bay Saltwater live sand! I’m waiting for BF/CM deals for those.

Next steps are to plumb the sump/tank and start installing the controller board components.
that is by far the coolest control board cabinet ever!!!!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that is by far the coolest control board cabinet ever!!!!

Thank you!

I can’t imagine having to mount all the controller crap under the tank! Lol

However my method isn’t perfect. I’m finding little annoyances as I assemble everything. The most annoying one is cord length! So far I have a few items (thermostat temp probes, heater power cords, MP40 cords…) that BARELY reach. They’ll limit how far I can pull the board out from the cabinet. I had to extend the MP40 cords. I don’t think that’s possible with the temp probes unfortunately.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I can’t imagine having to mount all the controller crap under the tank! Lol

However my method isn’t perfect. I’m finding little annoyances as I assemble everything. The most annoying one is cord length! So far I have a few items (thermostat temp probes, heater power cords, MP40 cords…) that BARELY reach. They’ll limit how far I can pull the board out from the cabinet. I had to extend the MP40 cords. I don’t think that’s possible with the temp probes unfortunately.
if the temp probes have the ethernet looking jack you should be able to find extensions for those. I'm pretty sure you could purchase part separately and assemble yourself if need be.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if the temp probes have the ethernet looking jack you should be able to find extensions for those. I'm pretty sure you could purchase part separately and assemble yourself if need be.

I’m using the Inkbird thermostats. I don’t believe they’re user replaceable so I’d have to disassemble the enclosure and figure out what kind of wire the probe uses. I wonder if anybody here has done that? I’ll make a post.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Inkbird thermostats. I don’t believe they’re user replaceable so I’d have to disassemble the enclosure and figure out what kind of wire the probe uses. I wonder if anybody here has done that? I’ll make a post.
gotcha, I thought you were using Neptune

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
She’s ALIVE!

I got the lights (mostly) installed and the rockscape added. My two clowns are in there somewhere.

I got the flow problems sorted. I found out that if the water level in the overflow box is lower than the top of the holes from the tank, it’s REALLY noisy. My wife was NOT happy lol. I had to replace the stock standpipes in the overflow with taller ones to raise the water level. That did the trick.

Anyway here she is!

IMG_8371.jpeg
IMG_8372.jpeg
IMG_8373.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8376.jpeg

I had to back down to a single M2 for the return. Initially when I was having flow problems I thought two was way too much. Now that I got the overflow box sorted I think I could still get away with dual M2 pumps but I’ll just leave it at 1 for now.

Still to do:
- Install AI Primes x2 from my old tank
- Install the Apex A3 from my old tank
- Install the DOS pumps for AWC
- Add the second MP40
- Fire up the refugium
- Cord management!

Last edited:

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s ALIVE!

I got the lights (mostly) installed and the rockscape added. My two clowns are in there somewhere.

I got the flow problems sorted. I found out that if the water level in the overflow box is lower than the top of the holes from the tank, it’s REALLY noisy. My wife was NOT happy lol. I had to replace the stock standpipes in the overflow with taller ones to raise the water level. That did the trick.

Anyway here she is!

IMG_8371.jpeg
IMG_8372.jpeg
IMG_8373.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8376.jpeg

I had to back down to a single M2 for the return. Initially when I was having flow problems I thought two was way too much. Now that I got the overflow box sorted I think I could still get away with dual M2 pumps but I’ll just leave it at 1 for now.

Still to do:
- Install AI Primes x2 from my old tank
- Install the Apex A3 from my old tank
- Install the DOS pumps for AWC
- Add the second MP40
- Fire up the refugium
- Cord management!

curios if you were still thinking about TBS live sand?I was thinking about using the sand and rock they offer for a nano build

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
curios if you were still thinking about TBS live sand?I was thinking about using the sand and rock they offer for a nano build

Yes I ordered the sand. It was supposed to be delivered last week but they had to delay until mid January

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Can you come out to the East Coast and set mine up?

Love the entire set up! Scape, control board, water/plumbing station, and the amazing amount of forethought you put into this build.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WOW! Can you come out to the East Coast and set mine up?

Love the entire set up! Scape, control board, water/plumbing station, and the amazing amount of forethought you put into this build.

I’m in Ohio. Not that far! Lol

As much forethought as I put into this, I’ve still missed some important things. Cord length for a lot of the control stuff was a big one. Plumbing as well. It was my first so I ended up redoing a fair number of things. Especially with the water mixing station. I will end up redoing the plumbing on that eventually to include faucets right at the bottom left/middle and right.

Anyway thanks for the kudos :)

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Random thoughts…

I wonder how Nessarius snails and fighting conches do without sand? My TBS live sand doesn’t come until mid-January, but I have to shut my old tank down and move all the critters later this week.

I noticed a couple of small scratches on the front (outside) pane of glass. I can’t think of any way I could have done it, but I didn’t notice it on delivery. Sad, but not the end of the world.

My two Ecotech battery backups are going to be WAY too heavy to mount on the controller board like I had originally planned. I’m either going to have to mount them behind it on the wall, hang them from the tv mounts, or find some really long extension wires for them! … or spend $160 on two LiFePO4 batteries to replace the OEM batteries. MUCH lighter and longer lasting (compliments to @telegraham for that insight!).

My overflow and sump are nearly silent now. The only sounds I hear are some trickling coming from the water falling into the weir box, and some occasional trickling from when water slightly overflows into the secondary drain. I wonder if I can somehow silence the water falling into the weir box?

Only the primary drain goes through the filter roller - which means fish food that floats ends up going down the SECONDARY drain, thus bypassing the roller. My sump is starting to collect uneaten fish food. I need to figure out how to prevent that.

And I’m low-key worried that adding 120 lbs of live sand 1 month after starting the tank up will cause big issues. I can’t even put my fingers on what those might be. Just stressing over what are likely inconsequential things. It’s a skill I have.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just binge read your entire journal. Awesome build so far, good work!

Thank you! It seems like it’s “done” but there is so much left to do. Story of our reefing lives I suppose :squinting-face-with-tongue:

My TBS live sand comes in 10 days, and I’ve still got a few more fish to get and of course tons of corals!

Next on my to-do (besides the sand) is to get a par meter and figure out how much tweaking I need to do with the lights.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome clean build !!
I keep going back and forth on where to put my UV(25 watt also). I am curious about yours . I don’t see ball valves/unions and yours is mounted low and behind sump. I cannot tell from pics. How are you planning to change bulb and also remove unit w/o getting some water dripped in stand w/o ball valve unions attached to UV?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back