The slowest turnover sump ever.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm restricted on what sort of plumbing I can do: all plumbing and wiring must pass thru a circle 1.25" in diameter (unless anyone here knows how to cut wood paneling from a house). It's an 85 gal inside display and an 75 gal outside display. Heating and filtration are tied to the 75 gal outside display (which is an estuary display).

Thinking that denitrifiers are circulated at a low flow rate, what deters a low turnover system from functioning properly?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that denitrication occurs in sealed reactors .... neither of your tanks are sealed. Don't imagine heating is a major issue where you live, so if you can get even 150 gph should be OK.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank turnovers 2x/hr. Not sure if that is what you are asking.

OP
OP
D

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah great point. The case of the reactor is
I may be misreading this bit, but have you considered using a hole saw to make the hole bigger?
My tank turnovers 2x/hr. Not sure if that is what you are asking.

Perfect. That's the response I was looking for. Are you still getting performance out of your skimmer and other sump-based devices?

OP
OP
D

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be misreading this bit, but have you considered using a hole saw to make the hole bigger?

It's not my house—she's very controlling about what "modifications" may be made (which might be within my legal right—are nails or tacks a modification? Are posters on the wall with tape? Of course, I could try to hide the face that I made the hole larger. I suppose we could disguise the plumbing (e.g,. have lots of junk there combined with plants, to make it less obvious), and then when we leave, figure out if there's a bigger model of a hole plug they used (I'm trying to find it in the house, what they used to temporarily plug the hole they drilled for the DirecTV cable).

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah great point. The case of the reactor is

Perfect. That's the response I was looking for. Are you still getting performance out of your skimmer and other sump-based devices?

Of course! The tank is 240 gallon system, and I get around 550 gph through sump. So more than 2x I guess, but the skimmer pump is right at 550 ish so it works perfect.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind that the higher turnover rates are also from when we didn't have the plethora of powerheads we have now and had to use the return pump for flow. Having sump turnover closer to skimmer and filtration turnover is perfectly fine.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back