The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i have is a hob filter a heater and a water chiller in my tank with alot of live rock and my tank does just fine i have not needed a water change in 3 months and all parameters stay at the norm never lost a fish except one i bought that was really sick and i tried to save

jazonPartij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435002.394017.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435048.775982.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435793.908262.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435835.610490.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435899.972101.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435936.671451.jpg

40gal Nuvo fusion.
Coralline t5 aqualight
Ghost protein skimmer
Nano zapp uv sterilizer
Maxi-jet 1200 circulation pump
Aqueon 700 circulation pump
Innovative marine spin stream

This is my first tank. It has been running for 6 days now. I use RODI water, h2ocean pro salt, added some prime, and have added special blend microbe-lift to start my cycle. Is this good to start a cycle with? Any other nutrients Or supplements I should be adding now? How about later on?

I'm not happy with the substrate as it piles up in areas. I've tried changing the direction of the circulation pumps but it'll just shift to the next side, any suggestions? I'm having a tough time keeping the temperature constant. Right now it ranges from 81.5 to 84.5 which seems a bit high to me. I wasn't planning on getting a chiller but what do you suggest?

I was going to add one more liverock right on the top left to create another archway. Any feedback so far on the beginnings of my aquascape? Anything else you can share with a beginner? What does it meant to "cook liverock"? Because I didn't do that...

jazonPartij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435002.394017.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435048.775982.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435793.908262.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435835.610490.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435899.972101.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438435936.671451.jpg

40gal Nuvo fusion.
Coralline t5 aqualight
Ghost protein skimmer
Nano zapp uv sterilizer
Maxi-jet 1200 circulation pump
Aqueon 700 circulation pump
Innovative marine spin stream

This is my first tank. It has been running for 6 days now. I use RODI water, h2ocean pro salt, added some prime, and have added special blend microbe-lift to start my cycle. Is this good to start a cycle with? Any other nutrients Or supplements I should be adding now? How about later on?

I'm not happy with the substrate as it piles up in areas. I've tried changing the direction of the circulation pumps but it'll just shift to the next side, any suggestions? I'm having a tough time keeping the temperature constant. Right now it ranges from 81.5 to 84.5 which seems a bit high to me. I wasn't planning on getting a chiller but what do you suggest?

I was going to add one more liverock right on the top left to create another archway. Any feedback so far on the beginnings of my aquascape? Anything else you can share with a beginner? What does it meant to "cook liverock"? Because I didn't do that...

MOD can you delete this posting? I reposted this in my own topic.

Thomas36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to saltwater tanks and I had a few questions about this particular slat setup I purchased

This particular filter setup it looks like a refugium setup however it looks like its missing a chamber the protein skimmer was also hanging in the middle instead of at the end as most of the sump I have researched had. It also only had one filter bag that hangs directly below that black tube where most that I've researched had 2. What's the best way to set this sum up right? Can I use Bio balls? ive also seen people purchase a mud substrate with algae.

Kelly Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start a 10 gallon FOWLR. I know very little about saltwater tanks. I know u need a refractometer to measure the salt levels and your pH, ammonia, mitrites, and nitrates always have to be in check. I have a 37 calling community fresh water tank which was upgraded from my 10 gallon. Now I want to try something different. I have a 10 gallon with LED hood, Aqueon QuietFlow 20 HOB filter, Aqueon 100 Watt heater, and some fake plants. I know in a saltwater tank u use sand not regular gravel. What else do I need besides a test kit and refractometer?? What fish are best for a beginner?

Kelly Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know that live rock helps the tank chemistry and biology. Does petsmart sell live rock or PETCO? Thats all I really have near me. I just really need advice on setting up the tank and maintaining it.

cneidigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
petco sells rock petsmart here don't sell nothing saltwater. if you get rock from petco look at it very closly make sure its not a purple painted rock it looks way prettier then actual coralline but flacks off in your tank after sitting in the water for awail..I found out the hard way

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also know that live rock helps the tank chemistry and biology. Does petsmart sell live rock or PETCO? Thats all I really have near me. I just really need advice on setting up the tank and maintaining it.
You can get some fair deals on rock on eBay

Tlove1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125g tank I acquired from a friend. It has been a few years since it has been set up but I am really wanting to get it going. I have had many fresh water tanks but this is my first attempt at a saltwater reef tank. I'm excited to get going on it but am really at a lose as to where to start. I am supposed to have everything to get it going including an RO system. I have what was live sand and rock still in tank but everything else is disassembled and in a bunch of totes. Any advice as to how to start?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the supreme guide link in the first page says you want cyano and GHA after your tank cycles and this indicates its complete? did I read this right?

xkristulkax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, we are thinking of purchasing a salt water tank, the tank that we are looking at is not new the tank is already fully running, with 5 fishes. we have never had a salt water tank. what should we know before going through with a purchase? Please give me any tips on transferring the tank, then cleaning it, and then actually taking care of it. Please answer as simply as possible, as we don't have any experience with fish tanks :) Thank You

SaiyanDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good guide for adding fish and how many fish can maintain in one tank at once based on tank size? I know it depends on type of fish but haven't found a good guide

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back