My clown chose to host a feather worm.

IMG_8929.JPG

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think maroon clowns, regardless of whether they are WC or CB, host the fastest of all clowns imo/e

Skunk clowns will find a host the minute they hit the water IMO. Especially if they have their natural host

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown that would host a condi, it would feed it too! Gotta look for the photos as I recently found out this is rather rare

ReefersDelite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Picasso finally hosted. The wild clown I’ve had for a while and he hosted right away but finally my Picasso!!!!
IMG_0187.JPG

Oscar72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a BTA and a true Percula Clown in a 15 gallon Nano reef. The BTA was small but the clown had room. However, the clown had no interest in it at all. Fast forward to now... I have the same Percula Clown, Ive had her now about 1.5 years. About two weeks ago I bought a small Ocellaris (no luck finding other Percula) in hopes to get them to pair. Well after about 1 week I found them swimming together. So just yesterday I hope the opportunity to pick up locally a larger ritteri/Magnifica nem. After a few hours of them hovering and picking at it (the small clown first followed by the female 10 mins later) I wake up this morning to this! Lights still off.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

WeaveAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on how to get a clown fish pair to stop bothering the leather fingers and go to the sebae anomone? or is that even possible?
Thanks.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the species of clownfish and anemone? I would start out with keeping clownfish and anemones that have natural symbiotic relationship in the wild. It is really easy once you have this. Just put them together and 99% of the time they form their natural relationship, nothing need to be done on your part.
If you not sure the species of the one you have, post pictures and we can help you. Common name, especially from someone who do not know their anemone (or from LFS), is essentially random guess.

Luvnreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many people begin the journey into keeping a saltwater tank because they want to have a “Nemo” with its anemone. Before getting the anemone, I think it is important to understand the relationship between the clownfish and its anemone.

The relationship between the clownfish and anemone is referred to as symbiotic. Symbiotic means living together. This is exactly what is happening in the relationship. The clownfish is being hosted by the anemone. Notice, that I said that the clownfish is being hosted by the anemone. Host is defined as in biology is the organism in which another organism lives. A clownfish lives in the anemone. Therefore, the anemone is the host.

Now, you might be wondering why the clownfish is being hosted by the anemone. Have you seen a clownfish swim? If you have, you may have noticed that the clownfish is a poor swimmer. This makes them an easy target for other fish. In order to survive, clownfish take up residence in anemones. The anemones have nematocysts in its tentacles that will sting other fish. Clownfish have developed a resistance to the stinging cells so they are not affected.

Anemones also benefit from hosting the clowns. Even though the anemones have stinging cells, some fish will try to eat the tentacles. This can harm the anemone. The clownfish will valiantly chase away other fish that come near the anemone. I can vouch for this, since my clowns will bite my hand and arm to the point of drawing blood when I am too close to the anemone. Also, some clownfish will feed the anemone which helps provide some nourishment for the anemone.

As you can see, the relationship between the clownfish and anemone is pretty important. Both organisms can benefit from the relationship. This type of relationship is considered a mutual symbiotic relationship. However, it is also important to note that clowns will not always choose anemones to host them. In the home aquarium, clowns will seek an area where they feel safe and comfortable. This can be another coral, a rock, fake ornament or even filter tubes. Some also believe that captive bred clowns are harder to get to be hosted by anemones.

Here's a pic that demonstrate the symbiotic relationship:

Picture of a Clownfish in an Anemone | Ocean Portal | Smithsonian
2.jpg

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/6956719
Great article! Thank you for the time and knowledge invested to s3ndnusnproper information.

Luvnreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all!
This may seem winded and I am sorry for that but its covering 2 weeks of, well oddness amongst my gold dot maroon clown and its host the GBTA,
MY Gbta has been in my tank for approx 3 weeks in which time he's stayed hidden in a cave and made me believe this would be his permanent home, a week ago I added a gold dot clown which showed no interest at all which I understand aquaculture clowns are notorious for, well as of yesterday the clown found the bta and they have been in a 24 hour wrestling match since, The GBTA has now moved all over the tank with the clown close on its heels the entire time, and it seems to be running away? Should I let this continue? Will they find their happy place so to speak or is the clown being to aggressive and possibly stressing the GBTA to much to fast?

Luvnreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an odd marriage going on between my GBTA AND my gold dot maroon clown, forgive how this is a bit winded please..so my gbta has been in my tank better than 3 weeks since day 1 hiding into same cave it dropped itself into on day 1, I decided 2 weeks later to add the gold dot maroon in hopes the two would begin their journey together, well no such luck until last night, now I understand aquaculture clowns may never be hosted, well last night I got a huge surprise and the clown was in the gbta like he had lives there his entire life, the once still placed anemone had began to move and all looked very positive..until!! After hours and hours nearly 24 by now it appears the two are staying in this constant wrestling match in which gbta keeps moving all about the tank and the clown relentlessly follows and keeps pushing him, should I be worried the clown is stressing the gbta way to much or is this dance they seem to be in completely normal and one day the two will make a permanent home in the tank and be ok?

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clownfish finally discovered my anemone last night. This morning though, the clownfish is back in the corner it was before.. does this process take time before they stay in the anemone more frequently?

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cruel to seperate clowns from there anemones?. Id really like to put my black ice pair in my next tank but. Not the rbta. i have a large hammer that they could sleep in if thats not to mean.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the species of clownfish and anemone? I would start out with keeping clownfish and anemones that have natural symbiotic relationship in the wild. It is really easy once you have this. Just put them together and 99% of the time they form their natural relationship, nothing need to be done on your part.
If you not sure the species of the one you have, post pictures and we can help you. Common name, especially from someone who do not know their anemone (or from LFS), is essentially random guess.

We just bought 2 "designer" maroon clownfish and are looking into anemone options to host them. What are the different anemones you would suggest for us to look into for them? Thanks in advance!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back