The Tang Did Not Make It

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so gutted. I’m gutted because every action you make has a reaction and my enthusiasm in getting the Mystery Wrasse was probably the cause of my Tangs demise.

Since I introduced the wrasse on Saturday the tang went a little grey and had stopped eating. The Wrasse never openly bullies the Tang or any other of my fish but it did have that air if I’m the boss about it.

Any way my wife called me today and said the Tang was swimming in its side, then upside down and then got trapped against the side of the wave maker.

At this point Sarah is in tears and I am driving home! This happened a couple more times and she was a great sport and managed to net him out of the tank and put an end to his misery.

He very clearly had a swim bladder issue I am assuming caused by stress. Once again I am just gutted that I caused this. Just gutted.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow tang addict myself, I am sorry to hear your loss.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. I lost my powder blue tang for mysterious reasons. I loved that fish, not only beautiful but full of character and the only one to greet me whenever I came to the tank. I know he was looking to get fed, but to me it felt like a greeting...

I think that when you stop caring if your charges die or suffer you have lost the truest sense of being a reef/marine hobbyist. The fact that it upsets you speaks a great deal for you. God bless!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. So bad to see a fish otherwise healthy die like this. Sarah took a video also but I don’t want to post that. I can upload it to a Dropbox if anyone is interested.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! Sorry to hear about your loss.

I am in the market soon for a couple of wrasses to add to my underwater jungle... I have been hesitant as the tangs are kind of dominant jerks... and like to beat up on new arrivals. As a result, I am planning to add at least two....if not three.... with the hopes that the activity and multiple new targets will tire the jerk tangs....

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. So bad to see a fish otherwise healthy die like this. Sarah took a video also but I don’t want to post that. I can upload it to a Dropbox if anyone is interested.

Sorry to hear Shaggy. I had a Mystery Wrasse ten years ago. Super awesome fish, but was a big bully, and killed all the inverts in my tank (shrimp, crabs, etc.). Interestingly, the only thing he did not mess with was my pair of clowns.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Shaggy. I had a Mystery Wrasse ten years ago. Super awesome fish, but was a big bully, and killed all the inverts in my tank (shrimp, crabs, etc.). Interestingly, the only thing he did not mess with was my pair of clowns.
The funny thing is he is really not chasing anything at all. Was even in the same cave with the Tang at the start . No nipping or anything.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back