The Tenecor® Pico DIY Drops March 2nd, 2024

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All glued up with Weldon-4, left to dry for 2 1/2 days/60hr. Half way through 24hr water test.

Chose Electrical tape to hold edges together since the elasticity of the tape acts like a clam pulling the sides together. Only used the blue tape for mock up and holding pieces together while gluing. Prior to applying Weldon I firmly adhered one end of the ET strip to one piece being glued, applied glue, and then stretched tape before adhering other end.

Anyone doing any edge prep before gluing?

Originally thought of flame polishing but watched a video that pointed out the heat changes the acrylic properties which will cause ugly crazing when glued together. This process is only good for non-glued pieces.

Did this quick edge clean up test on the last panel after seeing how the first 3 sides have tinny stipes or bubbles after being glued together. Wet sanded last piece with 600 & 1500 on a flat surface a little to see if the edge appearance would clear up any. Since this was only a quick test I didn't spend allot of time sanding but after this I most like will allot more in the future and possibly include some buffing of the edge. You can see in the middle picture below that some sanding knocked off the outer edges more than the center and looks clearer when glued up compared to the non-sanded panels that go all the way across the edges.

1711381028850.png
I was going to try it as they came but I do have a spiral flute bit for my router table...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the little tank! My 9 years old decided it was going to be hers. So freshwater started tank it is!
IMG_1230.jpeg
Well, at least it's not SpongeBob I guess...

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit of an update, I posted my oopsie on my back wall. I was admittedly a little upset I had to pay as much as I did for a new one, but I got this awesome masterpiece with my new parts!!
20240325_182231.jpg
That's where it is!! We were looking high and low for that. It was something we were playing with and cutting at the same time as the replacement parts. This is awkward.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I officially am not great at this game. Waited 24 to fill with water and the front corner has a steady stream. Silicone will fix it though.
Silicone is your friend. Embrace him. Be kind to him. Buy him a beer.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clarsen28 just texted me. His is leaking at the back corner. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
We all can't be great at everything. You are great at winning stuff, acrylic may just not be your thing and that's ok.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tried 16 yet, been using the super thin #4 without fail. Not sure if my method adds to a water tight seal but it worked on the last two DIY tanks.
After gluing two pieces together I wait 10-15min and run another bead along the seam.
When all glued up again I start at the top down all corners and then around the bottom. Dont need allot due to it being water like to seep into any cracks. Note, do not over do it or you'll end up with a puddle in the bottom.
Due to the fact the pieces are not 100% to size when there is a little overhang like the bottoms I do the same around the outer edge.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tried 16 yet, been using the super thin #4 without fail. Not sure if my method adds to a water tight seal but it worked on the last two DIY tanks.
After gluing two pieces together I wait 10-15min and run another bead along the seam.
When all glued up again I start at the top down all corners and then around the bottom. Dont need allot due to it being water like to seep into any cracks. Note, do not over do it or you'll end up with a puddle in the bottom.
Due to the fact the pieces are not 100% to size when there is a little overhang like the bottoms I do the same around the outer edge.
This is why we leave the bottom /tops just slightly oversize. On the drop off, silicone gusset seals will be very helpful and advised.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's most likely what my problem was - 16.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is the smell when it's curing with 3 or 4 or 16 I have all 3 but its not warm enough to leave it in my garage

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is the smell when it's curing with 3 or 4 or 16 I have all 3 but its not warm enough to leave it in my garage
In no way am I an expert and have to say I didn't pay attention to how long the smell lasts. It is definitely strongest when applied and initial 5-10 min. dry time.
Glued mine with #4 in a finished basement by a window and ran a small fan blowing out. Came back 20-30min later and didn't notice any smell but again wasn't paying attention for it.
If you have to do it in the garage I'd think after 20-30min. good to bring inside. Did see on can for higher bond strength we should let dry 24-48hr at 72degree so brining inside is a good idea.

Last edited:

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240330_154330.jpg
20240330_154512.jpg

Was finally able to finish assembling mine last night. Going to let it cure for a couple days and see if it holds water. Pretty happy with it, much less bubbles than the 1st diy but still not perfect.
What size pump is that?

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240330_154330.jpg
20240330_154512.jpg

Was finally able to finish assembling mine last night. Going to let it cure for a couple days and see if it holds water. Pretty happy with it, much less bubbles than the 1st diy but still not perfect.
Envious! Your’s so clean, like store bought. Mine has smudges all over. And on fourth attempt to seal last leak.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back