The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the most peaceful Halichoeres?
The melanurus? I never hear much about these guys going postal... only them wiping out your CUC, but thats about it.

I know Timors can be real punks, i think Tamav had issues with her's and had to rehome it.

The Yellow Coris? Even tho its not a Coris? Why is it even called coris if its not a coris?
Leucoxanthus and chrysus are very peaceful. I also recommend babi.

IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_6113.jpeg

I also recommend vivien as a well behaved wrasse.

IMG_6110.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel @i cant think knows much better then me. It’s definitely not melanurus. That’s my most aggressive and has a bad reputation. I’d go with one of the torpedos like a radiant/iridis, chrysus, or leucoxanthus.
I’ve never had a Leucoxanthus become boisterous, I’ve definitely had Mel’s become nasty and radiants become boisterous. Chrysus again, I’ve had them become boisterous as males. Not sure why leucoxanthus are so peaceful.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to snap a few quick pics today. Nothing good, since these guys are fast and the glass is permanently cloudy on the quarantine tank. And of course the chaliasi fairy, whipfin fairy, and yellow banded possum had to hide from the camera.

20240330_133216.jpg
20240330_133153.jpg
20240330_133134.jpg
20240330_133137.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This used to be a pretty active thread, seems kinda quiet around these parts lately.

Did someone die and no one told me? :eek:

So I woke up this morning to see my melagris THINK she/he(it's transitioning so is it an IT? lol) is sleeping in the sand. I've seen her do this quite often lately. It's almost like she knows I'm going to go looking in the morning, and is half hid so she can show off.

20240402_054629.jpg

20240402_054637.jpg

I guess fish, at least this breed, do not have eyelids.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve ordered the new tank! Hopefully it comes in the next two weeks.

The smaller wrasses (mainly my Radiant and possibly one of the fairies and the carpenters) will be going into my nano temporarily for a week and hopefully no longer than that so when that happens I’ll try do photos!
Although my Jade has been hiding in the sand bed since my tank’s temperature dropped so I’m unsure if he has passed or is just stressed (likely this).

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I would really love to have a wrasse....I just don't know which would be the best for my tank. I have a 65 gallon reefer...it's only a few months old but coming along nicely. You can see a video here of my current setup and livestock. I won't be adding anything new for at least a month but looking for something that is a nice addition to the gang.

Jens Reef

I have:
2 gladiator wide bar clowns
1 diamond sand sifting goby
1 flame angel
1 dottyback
1 midas blenny

Would love to hear your thoughts on what (if any) wrasse would work in my tank. I love color and personality. :)

Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I would really love to have a wrasse....I just don't know which would be the best for my tank. I have a 65 gallon reefer...it's only a few months old but coming along nicely. You can see a video here of my current setup and livestock. I won't be adding anything new for at least a month but looking for something that is a nice addition to the gang.

Jens Reef

I have:
1 flame angel
1 dottyback
1 midas blenny

Would love to hear your thoughts on what (if any) wrasse would work in my tank. I love color and personality. :)

Thanks!
With a dottyback you need something tough. How about a Halichoeres? Maybe a radiant wrasse, dusky wrasse, earmuff?

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jens Reef

I have:
1 flame angel
1 dottyback
1 midas blenny

Thanks!
Nice tank! How deep is the sand bed? In a 65, I would add a sand sleeper. If you can find a healthy leopard wrasse, they are great and very colorful. Macropharyngodon bipartitis would be my #1 suggestion, but I'm biased. Otherwise there are several Halichoeres wrasses that are great. I'd skip the H. chrysus yellow wrasse since you have a Midas blenny. Maybe Halichoeres iridis, Halichoeres claudia or Halichoeres pallidus?

Fairies and flashers are colorful and active, too, but some require more swimming space. I believe the 65 gal total system volume Reefer is a 3ft long tank (like mine). The smaller fairies would be better bets. from thewrasseguy:
1712102330258.png

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or C. exquisitus might give you the best bang for buck. I'd also look at Lunatus complex, the C. brunneus and C. isosceles being the most common, I think. C. isosceles is beautiful but similar orangish color scheme that your Midas has covered. Brunneus takes a while to get its brilliant terminal male colors. Rubriventralis complex is also one of my favorites, with C. rubeus being high on the list, but some members have had demon C. rubeus, so I guess there's always that risk of it being a bully. You don't have other wrasses, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a dottyback you need something tough. How about a Halichoeres? Maybe a radiant wrasse, dusky wrasse, earmuff?
I didn't see a dottyback in the video. I saw a royal gramma. @Jenyphur is that right?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see a dottyback in the video. I saw a royal gramma. @Jenyphur is that right?
It was a Bicolor dottyback, one of the most agressive of the dottyback. I was hoping that she has an Orchid dottyback.
Jen needs an agressive Fairy or else remove the Bicolor dottyback
How about a Blue Throat Fairy and a Naoko Fairy

IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've now got a 6 line, carpenters flasher and today added a cleaner wrasse. All get on so far.
Question what the cleaner will eat. It chases flakes food and spits it out.
Even my mandarin is eating ocean nutrition flakes.
Some fish are letting him clean.

Attachments

• 20240403_121918.jpg
    20240403_121918.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 13

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've now got a 6 line, carpenters flasher and today added a cleaner wrasse. All get on so far.
Question what the cleaner will eat. It chases flakes food and spits it out.
Even my mandarin is eating ocean nutrition flakes.
Some fish are letting him clean.
You’ll probably find this fish will eat Frozen and not go for flakes for a while (if ever). I personally don’t have fish that only eat flake as long term it’s not a good diet.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back