The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the general consensus on C. punctatus? I saw a nice one and am considering it as an addition to my existing McCosker's and incoming Exquisite Fairy
I personally wouldn't hesitate to mix that wrasse with either of the species you have listed.

I haven't personally kept one, but I've kept C. temminckii on 2 different occasions, and C. temminckii is very similar. They were both gentle giants (supermales). Didnt bother anyone or anything, including other fairies.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't hesitate to mix that wrasse with either of the species you have listed.

I haven't personally kept one, but I've kept C. temminckii on 2 different occasions, and C. temminckii is very similar. They were both gentle giants (supermales). Didnt bother anyone or anything, including other fairies.
Would love to know what a punctatus looks like in person. I'm guessing photos don't do it justice.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This or finifenmaa are on my list of must haves! Just need to find a nice one locally, as I try not to buy any fish online.
I got him locally. I would be too nervous to have a fish shipped. I feel lucky to have him

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tentative end goal would be those three along with a C. lecoxanthus and C. iridis. I think those would add a nice level of color and activity in the tank

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tentative end goal would be those three along with a C. lecoxanthus and C. iridis. I think those would add a nice level of color and activity in the tank
Halichoeres leucoxanthus and Halichoeres iridis? They should do just fine with the wrasses you have/are looking at.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early wrasse Wednesday. The fairies get so excited for spawns, and tonight they were playing nice and not chasing eachother.

Nice!! Wish my RFAs would do that. I have two unidentified nem-like objects on my rocks I'll send you pics of tomorrow and let me know if you think they are babies!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early wrasse Wednesday. The fairies get so excited for spawns, and tonight they were playing nice and not chasing eachother.

Yup all my fish like spawning days too. Gobble the goo right up.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can grab a pic of the my tiny baby exquisite this morning when my lights come on. I'm not to hopeful on pics. Since I have no coral, I'm having to scrape my glass daily to get rid of the phyto that grows within hours and covers the glass.

Grows so fast, I can scrape the glass, and only 3 hours later, you can't see into the tank!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can grab a pic of the my tiny baby exquisite this morning when my lights come on. I'm not to hopeful on pics. Since I have no coral, I'm having to scrape my glass daily to get rid of the phyto that grows within hours and covers the glass.

Grows so fast, I can scrape the glass, and only 3 hours later, you can't see into the tank!
Put some coral in that tank! Or is this QT?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get back into the hobby again........

After loosing all my coral with the exception of a trachy I can't seem to kill, and my OG coral an @A Reef Creation black cherry blasto, and a gorgonian I have no coral, and I can't justify prices for coral anymore.

Corals that used to be $5 to $10 a head, are well over $50 now, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for an update on my wrasse experience so far. Got 2 leopards a couple of weeks ago one Ornatus and one Bipartitus. Got them acclimated in a box with substrate. And Introduced them to the tank without any aggression in between or from my other fish.

The first morning the Bipartitus was very active and the first to show up roaming the tank for food. On the second day the Ornatus showed up and was following along the Bipartitus on trips around the tank showing zero aggression towards each other.

Now to the mystery. On day number 4 I didn't spot the Bipartitus a single time and haven’t since day number 3 we are now day number 7.

Should I be alarmed?

Have a tight lid on the tank and no possibility for it to hide in the overflow.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse Wednesday
My Beau’s really colored up in just a few months that I have him…..
IMG_4811.jpeg
IMG_5073.jpeg

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this pretty female Choat two weeks ago. Wouldn’t touch any for a week, tried Mysis, rods food, brine, bloodworms, masstick, frozen cyclopods, R.O.E, live black worms, flakes, pellets. She was eating pods aggressively though. So I added a TON of pods, fed live baby brine daily, multiple times per day and live adult brine daily. After a week and a half, she’s eating like a champ.

Attachments

• IMG_5662.jpeg
    IMG_5662.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this pretty female Choat two weeks ago. Wouldn’t touch any for a week, tried Mysis, rods food, brine, bloodworms, masstick, frozen cyclopods, R.O.E, live black worms, flakes, pellets. She was eating pods aggressively though. So I added a TON of pods, fed live baby brine daily, multiple times per day and live adult brine daily. After a week and a half, she’s eating like a champ.
And this is my transitioning female in a seperate tank. Favorite fish. Can’t wait for my big tank to attempt a harem of these beauties.

Attachments

• IMG_5657.png
    IMG_5657.png
    629.7 KB · Views: 17

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is my transitioning female in a seperate tank. Favorite fish. Can’t wait for my big tank to attempt a harem of these beauties.
My holy grail fish! One I can never seem to get a hold of, or I won't pay the asking price.

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My holy grail fish! One I can never seem to get a hold of, or I won't pay the asking price.
Yeah price point sucks. I never feel good about spending that much on a fish. Especially one that is finicky like these. Definitely a gamble to spend $300+ to *hopefully* get it to eat and then survive. A holy grail for sure.

SCH14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a quick question for anyone browsing this thread- picking up a rhomboid super male this morning. I’ve been told I can drop dairy wrasses into copper power 2.5. Any had experience with this one? Treating my 310g with copper at 2.55, removed all coral due to velvet outbreak

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This or finifenmaa are on my list of must haves! Just need to find a nice one locally, as I try not to buy any fish online.
Finifenmaa is that species - Rubrisquamis is now believed to look like the Vibranium Fairy (C. wakanda).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back