The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to put an order in for a Melanurus wrasse. They just came in today so once they are ready I will be ordering. I have been bugging the manager of Canadacorals for weeks to place me an order, can't wait! I have many flatworms still in the tank even after using Flatworm exit, do you guys have a Melanurus wrasse that eats flatworms?
I visited a reef store about 4 hours away last year and they had a Melanurus, I stood there watching him for at least a half hour. I wanted one ever since.
They do a good job of eating coral pests.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello experts.

I have a 40 breeder with a Melanurus and a Solorensis wrasse. I really wanted to add a yellow H. chrysus, and I know it would have been better to add him earlier as they are more peaceful. I kept him in an acclimation box for over 24 hours and saw no signs of aggression from the Melanurus. The new wrasse was eating well. Then, I decided to release him into the new tank after the Melanurus went to sleep. The new yellow wrasse swam around for a bit, ate a little, and then I watched him bury himself for bed. After 2 days he emerged when I was feeding the fish. He ate a bit, but then the Melanurus chased him until he burried in the sand. Is there anything I should do? Will he make it?

Thanks!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello experts.

I have a 40 breeder with a Melanurus and a Solorensis wrasse. I really wanted to add a yellow H. chrysus, and I know it would have been better to add him earlier as they are more peaceful. I kept him in an acclimation box for over 24 hours and saw no signs of aggression from the Melanurus. The new wrasse was eating well. Then, I decided to release him into the new tank after the Melanurus went to sleep. The new yellow wrasse swam around for a bit, ate a little, and then I watched him bury himself for bed. After 2 days he emerged when I was feeding the fish. He ate a bit, but then the Melanurus chased him until he burried in the sand. Is there anything I should do? Will he make it?

Thanks!
Two Halichoeres wrasses in that size tank will more than likely not work long term. You can try placing a mirror or two against the glass to distract the H. melanurus and add some extra feedings (small portions of course) short term.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Halichoeres wrasses in that size tank will more than likely not work long term. You can try placing a mirror or two against the glass to distract the H. melanurus and add some extra feedings (small portions of course) short term.

I was worried about this. I received some apparently bad advice before. I will see if I can catch one and take them to the LFS to save it.

Thank you for the advice!

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about this. I received some apparently bad advice before. I will see if I can catch one and take them to the LFS to save it.

Thank you for the advice!
I had both of those in a 55 for over a year with no problems, but have upgraded to a larger tank since.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how small is too small for a social acclimation box? My old one has been restricted by monti's new growth (it was large). I picked up this Betta tank (10"x 3.5"x 6") for my new blue flasher. The fish is pretty small, just don't want to add stress by being cramped. My pintail has been checking him out, but not charging. I'm thinking he won't be in the SA box long. Here is a video of the new guy in the new DIY half gallon SA box.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello experts.

Thanks!
In most cases it should settle down in a couple of days. However, in some cases it never does. If that happens, then one will have to be rehomed.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how small is too small for a social acclimation box? My old one has been restricted by monti's new growth (it was large). I picked up this Betta tank (10"x 3.5"x 6") for my new blue flasher. The fish is pretty small, just don't want to add stress by being cramped. My pintail has been checking him out, but not charging. I'm thinking he won't be in the SA box long. Here is a video of the new guy in the new DIY half gallon SA box.

That is more than big enough. As long as the fish can turn around it will suffice. It is a very temporary situation.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he's free. So far, so good. The pintail does zoom by him occasionally with a little attitude, but nothing bad. He was showing no interest while in the SA box anymore.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. hartzfeldii

M. choati. He's been with us for over 2.5 years and was with Kevin Kohen for 6 months before he came to us as a tiny female. That's our Labroides dimidiatus (cleaner wrasse) in the background. He's been with us for 5.5 years.

M. bipartitus male.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. hartzfeldii

M. choati. He's been with us for over 2.5 years and was with Kevin Kohen for 6 months before he came to us as a tiny female. That's our Labroides dimidiatus (cleaner wrasse) in the background. He's been with us for 5.5 years.

M. bipartitus male.

STUNNING! One day man, one day for me i hope

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered one of the "blue throat sail fin" fairy wrasses that have recently become available. I think I read that they are in the same complex as C. jordani. Is that true? Would that make mixing them with C. jordani in a 72x24 tank a problem? Have they been classified as a new species or are they a variant of a known species?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are they going to be as aggressive as a filamentosus?! I can live without a C. jordani but not without other fairy wrasse. Looks like this one may have to go to a friends tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are they going to be as aggressive as a filamentosus?!
Potentially. Likely not as bad (more like tonozukai), but certainly far from mild.

And to add to the poo-colored icing, many have reported the vividness of the coloration on the blue throat feature to fade in captivity. :(

Back