The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I've always heard that exquisite wrasse males will not hold their coloration without the presence of some females. I guess what you are saying in the article is that a group of males has the same effect has having females in the tank as far as the exquisitely holding their color.
Correct.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I know it's dependent on individual temperament to a large degree but do you think an eight line flasher and either a katoi or rhomboid fairy would be a feasible combination? Or potentially a katoi/rhomboid combo if added concurrently?
It's just not enough tank imo. And katoi is way too aggressive with any others in that size.

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just not enough tank imo. And katoi is way too aggressive with any others in that size.

Kind of what I figured but thank you for confirming. As the resident "wrasse-pert" would love to get your opinion on if there's a feasible pair for my size tank that would stand out beyond just the smallest available, or if I'm better off finding a non-wrasse species as the main attraction and leaving wrasse for down the line when I have a larger tank with more room. As I said waiting is fine, and definitely want everybody to be happy :)

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of what I figured but thank you for confirming. As the resident "wrasse-pert" would love to get your opinion on if there's a feasible pair for my size tank that would stand out beyond just the smallest available, or if I'm better off finding a non-wrasse species as the main attraction and leaving wrasse for down the line when I have a larger tank with more room. As I said waiting is fine, and definitely want everybody to be happy :)

Flashers seem to do better in smaller tanks. I have an awesome male Linespot Flasher in my 55 gallon, one of my favorites that come with the lower price tag. There's also a female Red Tail Flasher and a young male Bell's Flasher in that same tank. They all do well together, but if any start acting up they'll be moved to my 390 gallon. The Eightlines are nice, but a little more temperamental.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Romboid and isoscoles or lunatus would work in a 55.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrasse would you guys recommend if any for a cubeish 34. I know I'm gonna hear it but I figure I would try. I really want one! It's for a reefer 170 43g total only two clown fish at the moment.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrasse would you guys recommend if any for a cubeish 34. I know I'm gonna hear it but I figure I would try. I really want one! It's for a reefer 170 43g total only two clown fish at the moment.
Any of the Wetmorella species or Pseudocheilinops ataenia.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my local PetCo a few days ago, and also found a tank full of "Assorted Fairy Wrasses",
The guy a petco told me they are a fairy wrasse is they have red or blue on the head... I just went with the "Oh OK" response to limit conversation. Lol.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well, I lost one of the blue star wrasses in quarantine yesterday.
I also noticed the other 2 wrasses didn't use the sand bed for the 3rd night in a row.
They just look so,,,,,,,, IDK, maybe not well?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a reefer 250, 36x20x21 I would like a couple flashers and a Leopard wrasse, maybe a small fairy wrasse. was looking for some input on species that'd be appropriate in this size tank. Currently just have a couple clowns and a watchman goby, might consider a blenny as well. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a reefer 250, 36x20x21 I would like a couple flashers and a Leopard wrasse, maybe a small fairy wrasse. was looking for some input on species that'd be appropriate in this size tank. Currently just have a couple clowns and a watchman goby, might consider a blenny as well. Thanks!
Any of the flashers, except octotaenia would work.

Small fairies such as the lunatus complex, rhomboidalis, rubeus, africanus, and lubbocki would work.

For leopards, ornatus is about the hardiest.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse overboard! Went to place a new coral on the sand yesterday and I guess I caught my isoceles off guard so he shot out and landed with a healthy plop onto the hardwood floor. Startled me pretty good. Scooped him up, picked the husky hair off of him and quickly put him back into the tank. He looks just as he did today. Of course the only reason my screen top was off is because I was adding a coral. Moral of the story, screen tops (or lids in general) are a must have with these wrasses. Loosing that pintail would have really bummed me out.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a transitioning one at the moment. Got her at MACNA and within a week or so she began to transition. But still hasn't finished yet. Hope she fully transitions. The males have such beauty that pics really can't catch

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a transitioning one at the moment. Got her at MACNA and within a week or so she began to transition. But still hasn't finished yet. Hope she fully transitions. The males have such beauty that pics really can't catch

Yes. It looks awesome and I can't even get the colors to come out in pics I take. Awesome personality too. I have a pair, the young female I keep in one of my 55 gallons. The male is in my 390 display.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back