The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I had some restraint… then I didn’t.

I decided to take a trip to one of my LFS that I usually go to for weird and wonderful wrasses. Except this time I planned simply for Copepods and a Fleece Roll for the RS Rollermat… I came across the most gorgeous (true) pair of laboute’s wrasses. Unfortunately I passed on them but then I saw a stunning Anampses (_______) and she was feeding. I couldn’t resist her! I think I have to admit I’m addicted now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my big boss flasher! Paracheilinus rubricaudalis.
IMG_0241.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I see this thread is crazy!
I’m setting up a 56 gallon seahorse tank
Thinking 2 clowns
Blue spotted jaw
Fire fish and wanted to add a wrasse
I’ve always had a 6line anyone have a suggestions for a utilitarian wrasse also seahorse/pipefish friendly?
personally i would just do the SH and no other fish. I am been researching SH for years almost set one up 2X the last was a few months ago had the tank cycled and ready to go then backed out last min. to do a wrasses and LPS

the thing as, I am sure you know are the SH are very prone to Bac. infections that's why most long term SH keepers just Do them only. can you mix SH and fish sure it's just more risky...

IDK just some thoughts from someone that's been down that road.
if you do go with fish I like the option of the pink streaks or other easy going fish.
SH are slow messy eaters you dont want others out competing them for food.

anyway good luck!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i would just do the SH and no other fish. I am been researching SH for years almost set one up 2X the last was a few months ago had the tank cycled and ready to go then backed out last min. to do a wrasses and LPS

the thing as, I am sure you know are the SH are very prone to Bac. infections that's why most long term SH keepers just Do them only. can you mix SH and fish sure it's just more risky...

if you do go with fish I like the option of the pink streaks or other easy going fish.

anyway good luck!
When I first started keeping seahorses I said the same and did the same, however I've found if you have clean water, keep it between 72-74F that bacterial issues usually aren't a problem. And if you start with healthy CB seahorses already trained onto frozen, a little gentle competition really helps get the ponies eating well. Even my wild caught juveniles eat frozen pretty well after a grueling couple months of training, but they eat frozen right alongside the mandarin dragonet and clownfish now. And at some point, I may add a pink streak in with them also, as their display won't be big enough for a flasher wrasse.

20240427_210951.jpg
20240427_211449.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of both. got a black back BF on order analog with a few wrasses.

I had a cosmetus on order too but took it off the list for now. but have a dusty still on there. I see your pearl scale sneaking in.
Honestly the cosmetus is SO much nicer in person than pics make it out to be. And is the black back BF Chaetodon melanotus? If so, awesome choice!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well not to get to excited BUT I have a 3 wrasses coming in from Africa.
Paracheilliunius Mccoskeri -McCosker's
Halichoeres iridis -Radient
Halichoeres marginatus -Dusky

I had a few others wrasses on the list but took them off as my order was quite large.

they will spend a month a the QT spa then ship out to me.
i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well not to get to excited BUT I have a 3 wrasses coming in from Africa.
Paracheilliunius Mccoskeri -McCosker's
Halichoeres iridis -Radient
Halichoeres marginatus -Dusky

I had a few others wrasses on the list but took them off as my order was quite large.

they will spend a month a the QT spa then ship out to me.
i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
All awesome choices!

Starting to have to cut my list down as well. The 100 gallon is getting full faster than I thought.

Still would like to add:
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Halichoeres iridis
Labroides dimidiatus
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Also want to add a couple more butterflies, a regal angel, a flame angel, and a female spotted mandarin dragonet to pair with my male.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the cosmetus is SO much nicer in person than pics make it out to be. And is the black back BF Chaetodon melanotus? If so, awesome choice!
yup it is :)
I bet the cosmetus looks better in person. i'll prob. pick one up at some pint. I am a huge fan of the Halichoeres wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting, there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference in males and females of the Twistii. Anyone got any ideas how to sex them (if they transition)?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting, there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference in males and females of the Twistii. Anyone got any ideas how to sex them (if they transition)?
Is it one of those Anampses that transitions very late and whose male is very rarely seen?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it one of those Anampses that transitions very late and whose male is very rarely seen?
It may be, if I’m honest aren’t most Anampses like that?

Neoguinaicus is probably the only exception to transitioning in the genus.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anyway good luck!
Noted! I’m going to have the SH first then slowly add fish as I see fit so I’ll keep an eye out for any infections etc..
Thank you so much for the insight

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started keeping seahorses I said the same and did the same, however I've found if you have clean water, keep it between 72-74F that bacterial issues usually aren't a problem. And if you start with healthy CB seahorses already trained onto frozen, a little gentle competition really helps get the ponies eating well. Even my wild caught juveniles eat frozen pretty well after a grueling couple months of training, but they eat frozen right alongside the mandarin dragonet and clownfish now. And at some point, I may add a pink streak in with them also, as their display won't be big enough for a flasher wrasse.

20240427_210951.jpg
20240427_211449.jpg
I’m going to purchase them from Christina’s coral cabin as she has ones that are healthy and eating frozen… SH and pipefish first…
I’m more worried about the clowns than anything else tbh haha!!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love my wrasse so much that I had to 3D print him a bed as I’ve recently gone bare bottom in my tank. I’ve seen him using it, but not been able to capture footage just yet.

IMG_1513.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg
This bring me joy.
Love it when people plan ahead!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back