These were on the base of my hammer.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scraping some new algae growth and these popped off the base of my hammer. There were 3. One got away. At first I thought it was mysis pieces because it looks like tails. It’s not mysis. lol. They look almost furry. Hammer has been irritated the past couple of days. I thought it was the gha that sprouted up. Could it have been these?
IMG_4349.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scraping some new algae growth and these popped off the base of my hammer. There were 3. One got away. At first I thought it was mysis pieces because it looks like tails. It’s not mysis. lol. They look almost furry. Hammer has been irritated the past couple of days. I thought it was the gha that sprouted up. Could it have been these?
IMG_4349.jpeg
Looks like pineapple sponges - they're harmless filter-feeders and tend to boom then bust in population before going away on their own.

They might irritate a portion of a coral if they're touching its flesh, but that should just irritate the part its touching, not the whole colony.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pineapple sponges - they're harmless filter-feeders and tend to boom then bust in population before going away on their own.

They might irritate a portion of a coral if they're touching its flesh, but that should just irritate the part its touching, not the whole colony.
Thank you! I’ll look for other causes for my hammer’s newfound unhappiness. At least I can tick that off the list.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • NO

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back