OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason all of the nems have retracted after todays water change and I can actually see my scape. These are not great pictures because of the glare.
IMG_4130.jpeg
IMG_4133.jpeg

Edit: Wow, now that I see them on a monitor instead of my phone these pics suck even worse than I originally thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other firefish jumped out of the garage tank. While I give the Tenecor top high marks for the fit and how it looks I gotta give it an F for containing fish, which is its number one job. Cannot recommend for smaller fish.

Having no fish in the tank something had to be done so I went to the nearest LFS. I was just gonna get a pair of damsels, but I don’t really want damsels. Then I saw a whole tank full of salt water acclimated black mollies and we had a winner. Grabbed a couple of them for $4.99 each and home we went. There’s a bit of an algae problem in that tank right now as it goes through the uglies so these two should be just the ticket. They are already pecking away at whatever is in front of them. I’ll see if they can keep up, otherwise maybe I’ll get a couple more.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to think of a more streamlined approach to mixing up fresh saltwater for water changes. Now that I have two tanks running my old way of doing things has become very inconvenient. I was taking water upstairs to mix it up and then taking some back downstairs to the garage tank. It was madness. Unfortunately at the moment I don’t have enough room for a traditional water mixing station in the garage. All of the room on the top of the workbenches is occupied.

The other thing that was throwing me off was the cost of safe water storage containers. I like to be able to see inside so I’m not a fan of the black or gray Brute garbage cans. After much thought it occurred to me that I could just get another 20 long with the lid and use that on the bottom shelf under the garage tank. So I went and got one and tonight I filled it up one gallon at a time so I could mark it off. A 20 long actually only holds 16 gallons of water so that’s messing me up a little bit. I could probably squeeze another gallon in there but it would be touching the versa top at that point and I’d really need to get 18 gallons in there in order to mix up 4 packages of the TLF AccuraSea1 salt mix that I like to use. It mixes to 35ppm in 4.5 gallons so 18 would have been perfect. I’ll just have to settle for mixing 13.5 gallons at a time. At some point in the future I’ll redo the whole thing and use a bigger mixing tank. This will work much better for now.

I’ll still have to carry water up the stairs to change the main tank but now all mixing will be done in the garage and I’ll be able to make more than 4.5 gallons at a time. There’s no easy way to run a water line upstairs so I could pump it up there, at least no way that wouldn’t cost a small fortune and have wife approval. This is better than before and as good as it’s gonna get for a while.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and thanks for checking it out. Funny enough the replacement for this tank is arriving tomorrow so this one will be coming down soon. I’m gonna miss it in some ways but both my fish and corals need more space and less anemones. Can’t wait to get started on the next chapter.
72066198344__C528B9EC-4A44-4F95-B94A-C00135DCD6DA.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and thanks for checking it out. Funny enough the replacement for this tank is arriving tomorrow so this one will be coming down soon. I’m gonna miss it in some ways but both my fish and corals need more space and less anemones. Can’t wait to get started on the next chapter.
72066198344__C528B9EC-4A44-4F95-B94A-C00135DCD6DA.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg
Woah, that's awesome!! How exciting, taking the dive and switching over to a new system. Can't wait to see how it comes along. I can hardly imagine everything that goes into breaking down a tank and transferring it over, I hope you post lots about that process and wish you luck!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, that's awesome!! How exciting, taking the dive and switching over to a new system. Can't wait to see how it comes along. I can hardly imagine everything that goes into breaking down a tank and transferring it over, I hope you post lots about that process and wish you luck!
Have you seen the size of my current build thread??? It's for sure that I'll be blathering on about the new tank endlessly whether anyone wants to hear about it or not, lol. I have a plan for the transfer when the time comes and I'm hoping it will all go smoothly. Or it will be a big cluster, either way it will all be documented in a new thread. I contemplated keeping this one going and changing the title but I think new tank, new thread seems like a better idea. Start fresh. I still need to finish the new scape and cook it for a little while while I'm leak testing the new tank and finalizing equipment so it will actually be a while before a new thread really gets going.

Last edited:

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really like their orange/teal color palette. That’s not just one though, it’s nine, and they are not going in the new tank. If you’d like one, or all nine, just let me know, lol.
Ha! I may take you up on that offer in about 9 months. My tank is a bit too new and i dont want to kill one. Still need more stabilization. Your new tank is amazing. Cant wait to see more

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back