Thicken Glue?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a reef chemistry question per se, was wondering if there was a way to thicken some coral glue I recently bought. I normally buy the Bob Smith Coral Frag ICY gel glue which is great but only comes in the small tubes which I go through quickly. So I thought I'll try the Gluemasters "thick" glue which comes in 8 oz and larger bottles. Well, turns out their thick glue isn't really that thick and just runs all over everything to the point where it's just not useable. So, was wondering, if there was anything I could add to the glue to thicken it but not impact it's efficacy. Gelatin was the first thing to come to mind but not sure if that would work with the glue and how it would interact with it or if there was something else I could use.

Thanks.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an FYI - the thick glue BRS sells is pretty good (and thick). it holds it shape fairly well (espeically if you compare it to "thin" superglue - which somehow defies science and spreads faster than water).

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Insta-set Super Glue Accelerator​

Is a spray that makes the glue set almost immediatly works great for anything outside the tank, and if you are fast enough inside the tank as well but that gets tricky.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an FYI - the thick glue BRS sells is pretty good (and thick). it holds it shape fairly well (espeically if you compare it to "thin" superglue - which somehow defies science and spreads faster than water).
OK, good to know, thanks.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Insta-set Super Glue Accelerator​

Is a spray that makes the glue set almost immediatly works great for anything outside the tank, and if you are fast enough inside the tank as well but that gets tricky.
Yes, unfortunately, most of what I do is apply the thick glue to the frag outside the tank and then place within the tank. And that process is always a pain in the nuts as it is so the accelerator would only make that more frustrating but thanks for the suggestion.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, unfortunately, most of what I do is apply the thick glue to the frag outside the tank and then place within the tank. And that process is always a pain in the nuts as it is so the accelerator would only make that more frustrating but thanks for the suggestion.
yep.. this is what I do.. the BRS thick (big bottle) glue works great. I usually need to hold the frag for 20-30 seconds in place and done.

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling for months to keep my frags in place my LFS recommended Ic-Gel coral frag glue. BUT instead of applying it under water they told me to add a generous amount to the frag out of water ,dip it in the tank a a few times to get the glue wet then add another bit and then place it, hold it for 20 seconds and boom my frags aren't falling all over the place, nothing has fallen for about two months

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling for months to keep my frags in place my LFS recommended Ic-Gel coral frag glue. BUT instead of applying it under water they told me to add a generous amount to the frag out of water ,dip it in the tank a a few times to get the glue wet then add another bit and then place it, hold it for 20 seconds and boom my frags aren't falling all over the place, nothing has fallen for about two months
Yes, I've used this with success but the tubes are so dang small. I am constantly buying a 3 pack from Amazon and go through them quickly. That's why I wanted to try the bigger bottle. Sounds like I may need to check out the BRS glue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back