Things every grade school horse keeper should know before buying the fish

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I'm not an expert. That's user vlangel and others.
2) A lot of this is going to regurgitated content from the net. Also, READ THE STICKIES!!
3) I am no longer a high schooler. I graduated college this past Spring, so I'm OLD now. Some of my information is outdated, and I'm sure somebody will come along to correct me.

Now, you're a high schooler who wants to keep seahorses. They're cool! They change colors! They can move their eyes everywhere! Who wouldn't want to keep them?????

That's awesome! I'm glad you found a fish you'd like to keep! As a high achieving high school student, I was in the same boat! I wanted seahorses incredibly badly. Heck, the 29 gallon tank I had was designed (rockwork, skimmer, lights, etc.) specifically for horses! Before I bought the horses though, I did a LOT of internet searches to figure out if seahorses were the right pet for me. After an intense year of googling everything under the sun for Hippocampus erectus and H. reidi, I realized:they weren't. Here are four things to consider if you want to keep seahorses as a minor.

1) Time: Look. As a high schooler, I was run completely ragged. I swam competitively, was a band student (which also had competitions), took all but one of the AP courses that my school offered (9/10) with passing (>3 scores) in almost all (8/9) of them, was a straight A student (89.5 in AP physics counted as an A), participated in quiz bowl, had piano and violin lessons/competitions, AND kept fish tanks. It paid off (maybe), and I got into a REALLY good university. But at the end of the day, it was not healthy, and I barely had time to sleep (maybe that's why I'm so short?), and would often neglect my fish tanks as a result (a day or two without feedings, monthly instead of weekly water changes, etc) . From my research, seahorses aren't going to be okay with that.

So really ask yourself: do you have time to defrost and feed mysis shrimp or hatch brine shrimp to your fish every morning and evening? How about doing water changes on the weekends? Will you be able to arrange for somebody to sit for your stable if you're ever gone say, for a weekend conference? Or even just trips away from home? What about extra time if you need to nurse a horse back after it gets sick? Do you have time to wake up and eat breakfast (more than just a cereal bar you grab and snarf down during 2nd period....) in your morning schedule? What about weaning a fish that has gone off diet? Think about it. If the answer to that is no, then maybe think about if you want to change your schedule, or if you want to pick a different fish.

2) Food: The gold standard for non-dwarf seahorses nowadays is mysis shrimp. Specifically PE and Hikari Mysis. PE tends to be larger, while Hikari tends to be smaller. For dwarves, you'll want freshly hatched brine shrimp (24 hours after adding them into the water). In the weird thing we call life, seahorses didn't get blessed with being able to have fat reserves, nor with the ability to eat non frozen/live foods. Their mouths aren't designed for that, so you're going to have to be willing to provide high quality (see attached files on mysis shrimp) foods. Other foods, such as amphipods and copepods may be of use, as are 1 day old guppy fry for the larger seahorses (H. kuda, H. abdominalis, etc.). IF you cannot source these foods, then you either have to 1) culture them yourself (a further time problem), or 2) give up on the idea of horses. It's generally concluded that brine shrimp don't have enough nutrition to provide a stable monodiet that mysis shrimp can provide, ALTHOUGH they are useful in helping wean moody horses back to eating frozen.

3) Medications: Think of seahorses as immunocompromised individuals. Their immune systems are not very well off. That's relatively okay in a giant ocean where disease causing pathogens are highly diluted, but in a warm, nutrient filled tank? Vibrio and other bacteria are going to multiply like nobody's business. Your best preventatives will be keeping the tank colder (68 F - 75 F seems to be a generally agreed upon range) to slow down pathogen reproduction, running a skimmer to remove pathogens and nutrients from the water column, and potentially running a UV sterilizer as well (this last option always seemed fairly optional to me in my research).

While this also falls under the time category, are you going to be able to take the time to nurse a sick seahorse back to full health? What about getting the necessary medications required? Some medications (such as diamox/acetazolamide for gas bubble disease) are going to be incredibly hard to find and will need a prescription. Do you know an aquatic vet who is willing to prescribe the drug for you? While medicating your fish has always been something relegated to the hobbyist, with seahorses, you're going to need to research the disease and its cure, and then source the medication. If the medication needs a prescription, you're going to have to go to the vet, provide pictures of the fish, and argue your case for a prescription since most vets are not aquatically trained.

Closing notes:
I am not you, and every person's experience's will be difficult. But for most people, grade (K-12) school is a tough time regardless of who you are. For the sake of the fish, ask yourself: "am I prepared to do this?" If so, I wish you best fishes, and to go forth and conquer! If not, then rest easy and take comfort in the fact that you are acting in the best interest of the fish by not buying them.

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) A lot of this is going to regurgitated content from the net. Also, READ THE STICKIES!!
3) I am no longer a high schooler. I graduated college this past Spring, so I'm OLD now. Some of my information is outdated, and I'm sure somebody will come along to correct me.

Now, you're a high schooler who wants to keep seahorses. They're cool! They change colors! They can move their eyes everywhere! Who wouldn't want to keep them?????

That's awesome! I'm glad you found a fish you'd like to keep! As a high achieving high school student, I was in the same boat! I wanted seahorses incredibly badly. Heck, the 29 gallon tank I had was designed (rockwork, skimmer, lights, etc.) specifically for horses! Before I bought the horses though, I did a LOT of internet searches to figure out if seahorses were the right pet for me. After an intense year of googling everything under the sun for Hippocampus erectus and H. reidi, I realized:they weren't. Here are four things to consider if you want to keep seahorses as a minor.

1) Time: Look. As a high schooler, I was run completely ragged. I swam competitively, was a band student (which also had competitions), took all but one of the AP courses that my school offered (9/10) with passing (>3 scores) in almost all (8/9) of them, was a straight A student (89.5 in AP physics counted as an A), participated in quiz bowl, had piano and violin lessons/competitions, AND kept fish tanks. It paid off (maybe), and I got into a REALLY good university. But at the end of the day, it was not healthy, and I barely had time to sleep (maybe that's why I'm so short?), and would often neglect my fish tanks as a result (a day or two without feedings, monthly instead of weekly water changes, etc) . From my research, seahorses aren't going to be okay with that.

So really ask yourself: do you have time to defrost and feed mysis shrimp or hatch brine shrimp to your fish every morning and evening? How about doing water changes on the weekends? Will you be able to arrange for somebody to sit for your stable if you're ever gone say, for a weekend conference? Or even just trips away from home? What about extra time if you need to nurse a horse back after it gets sick? Do you have time to wake up and eat breakfast (more than just a cereal bar you grab and snarf down during 2nd period....) in your morning schedule? What about weaning a fish that has gone off diet? Think about it. If the answer to that is no, then maybe think about if you want to change your schedule, or if you want to pick a different fish.

2) Food: The gold standard for non-dwarf seahorses nowadays is mysis shrimp. Specifically PE and Hikari Mysis. PE tends to be larger, while Hikari tends to be smaller. For dwarves, you'll want freshly hatched brine shrimp (24 hours after adding them into the water). In the weird thing we call life, seahorses didn't get blessed with being able to have fat reserves, nor with the ability to eat non frozen/live foods. Their mouths aren't designed for that, so you're going to have to be willing to provide high quality (see attached files on mysis shrimp) foods. Other foods, such as amphipods and copepods may be of use, as are 1 day old guppy fry for the larger seahorses (H. kuda, H. abdominalis, etc.). IF you cannot source these foods, then you either have to 1) culture them yourself (a further time problem), or 2) give up on the idea of horses. It's generally concluded that brine shrimp don't have enough nutrition to provide a stable monodiet that mysis shrimp can provide, ALTHOUGH they are useful in helping wean moody horses back to eating frozen.

3) Medications: Think of seahorses as immunocompromised individuals. Their immune systems are not very well off. That's relatively okay in a giant ocean where disease causing pathogens are highly diluted, but in a warm, nutrient filled tank? Vibrio and other bacteria are going to multiply like nobody's business. Your best preventatives will be keeping the tank colder (68 F - 75 F seems to be a generally agreed upon range) to slow down pathogen reproduction, running a skimmer to remove pathogens and nutrients from the water column, and potentially running a UV sterilizer as well (this last option always seemed fairly optional to me in my research).

While this also falls under the time category, are you going to be able to take the time to nurse a sick seahorse back to full health? What about getting the necessary medications required? Some medications (such as diamox/acetazolamide for gas bubble disease) are going to be incredibly hard to find and will need a prescription. Do you know an aquatic vet who is willing to prescribe the drug for you? While medicating your fish has always been something relegated to the hobbyist, with seahorses, you're going to need to research the disease and its cure, and then source the medication. If the medication needs a prescription, you're going to have to go to the vet, provide pictures of the fish, and argue your case for a prescription since most vets are not aquatically trained.

Closing notes:
I am not you, and every person's experience's will be difficult. But for most people, grade (K-12) school is a tough time regardless of who you are. For the sake of the fish, ask yourself: "am I prepared to do this?" If so, I wish you best fishes, and to go forth and conquer! If not, then rest easy and take comfort in the fact that you are acting in the best interest of the fish by not buying them.
Thanks for writing this! here is gonna do section by section for my responses

first, school and time
I am currently doing a charter school that in normal times the max amount of days I go on campus is 2, as it is a lot of work to do, I have more then enough time to do weekly water changes, feed everyday etc, and I plan on doing it for next year also, as you know there's covid,

feeding
I have feeding under control, I have thousands of copepods, and have successfully cultured them time and time again, I have tons of hekari mysis, as I feed my reef tank hekari mysis, I have no worries of feeding

medication
this is where things get rocky, me being the lucky individual have never had ich, aphasia or anything, ive had fish been murdered though, the only time a fish died from a disease was 3 years ago when I had a royal gramma that got sick and I was a beginner, but I'm weirdly lucky, but with seahorses it might be rough, here is what I'm doing as disease prevention,
my filtration is made for 2 to 3 times the water volume of my tank, (doing hob equitment and a aquamaxx 1.5 hon skimmer)I'm gonna do a air bubbler as to make sure they get enough oxygen, my house stays under 75 degrees at all times, and it will be in my room which is very cold, so heat isn't a issue, I've read @vlangel 6 part series, and have watched a 40 minute video by seahorse whisperer on YouTube, also, my dad's girlfriend has friends with a fish veterinarian that has given her prescriptions, last, I think I am equipped to take care of them, I'm gonna wait a bit, and save a few hundred bucks, and build the tank, I have 400 and need 200, I'm gonna PM you my equipment list, thanks for the help, as I haven't considered the medication,

Thanks, Max

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Closing notes:
Well thought out and written. Even as a mature stay at home adult, seahorses can be a challenge and no aquarist should undertake them without being fully equipped with the knowledge of what they are getting into.

Back