Thinking about getting an Rodi unit

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have been your experiences with these? And do you have an suggestions for small non expensive ones? I have a 65g and have had pretty mixed success with things and think the tap water I'm using is to blame so I'd like to switch but in my area I can't just buy Rodi water for anything bigger than a goldfish bowl.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an RODI unit is the most important tool in our hobby. We spend so much time obsessing over water parameters that it makes absolutely no sense to start with less than optimal, 0 TDS water.

As far as recommendations, what’s your budget? There are cheaper units like RO Buddies which although cheaper upfront, would cost you in the long run because of the poor prefilter cartridge capacities. I would suggest one with standard sized canisters... something like this.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-st...5nkuppCHcyE1h48OJkbufpLWKoIGluDoaAtQMEALw_wcB

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with water dog. They are convenient & not too pricey depending on what you want. Check out BRS supply They a have a wide selection. get a tds meter also.
Do you have city or well water. If city send an E/m to the water company & ask if they use clorimines? this can be a factor on the type of filter you buy.

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is honestly the way to go - I would highly recommend a SpectraPure or BRS unit. As Cracker said - you will NEED a TDS Meter - try to get a TRI meter (measure tap, RO, and final product water) this will allow you to check membrane performance as well as when DI is exhausted. A pressure gauge is always helpful - if below 35PSI get a booster pump.

OP
OP
S

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an RODI unit is the most important tool in our hobby. We spend so much time obsessing over water parameters that it makes absolutely no sense to start with less than optimal, 0 TDS water.

As far as recommendations, what’s your budget? There are cheaper units like RO Buddies which although cheaper upfront, would cost you in the long run because of the poor prefilter cartridge capacities. I would suggest one with standard sized canisters... something like this.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-st...5nkuppCHcyE1h48OJkbufpLWKoIGluDoaAtQMEALw_wcB
Budget wise if I can find one for less than $100 or close to there I can get it this summer otherwise I will need to wait till this fall or winter. I'd like to get one sooner but also would like one that would be easy to use.

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget wise if I can find one for less than $100 or close to there I can get it this summer otherwise I will need to wait till this fall or winter. I'd like to get one sooner but also would like one that would be easy to use.

You can get a used one for under $100 or an RO Buddy - but I would recommend a system with 10" filters and quality DI. I sent you a PM btw.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my brs one for a little over $100 thanks to craigslist. It's only lightly used too. You could wait for one to pop up used.

OP
OP
S

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my brs one for a little over $100 thanks to craigslist. It's only lightly used too. You could wait for one to pop up used.
I've been kinda keeping an eye out since I set up the tank and there just aren't enough people with saltwater tanks in my area to have them or skimmers show up within driving distance.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back