Thinking of switching salts; which one should I choose?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It‘s that time again! I have hit the bottom of my salt bucket, which means it’s time to buy some new salt. The salt I normally use is Tropic Marin Pro; I like that it’s clean mixing and elevated Ca (~440) & Mg (~1350), but the low alkalinity (~7) always bugged me. When mixing water, I would usually add a bit of Na2CO3 and Red Sea magnesium to counteract this (I added magnesium because I found that the sodium carbonate would cause calcification on the bucket and pump). I don’t really like doing this though, as I have to wait until the salt is fully mixed before I add any additives. So I’ve been thinking of switching salts. I would like something that is as clean-mixing as Tropic Marin and has elevated Ca and Mg, but also has higher alk, preferably around 8-10 dkH. The only other salt that I know is as clean-mixing as Tropic Marin and also has elevated elements is the ESV B-ionic, but none of my LFSs stock them, and it seems ESV are discontinuing it (this is just an inference; BRS has them out of stock on clearance). Do you guys have any suggestions for clean-mixing salts with elevated major elements?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It‘s that time again! I have hit the bottom of my salt bucket, which means it’s time to buy some new salt. The salt I normally use is Tropic Marin Pro; I like that it’s clean mixing and elevated Ca (~440) & Mg (~1350), but the low alkalinity (~7) always bugged me. When mixing water, I would usually add a bit of Na2CO3 and Red Sea magnesium to counteract this (I added magnesium because I found that the sodium carbonate would cause calcification on the bucket and pump). I don’t really like doing this though, as I have to wait until the salt is fully mixed before I add any additives. So I’ve been thinking of switching salts. I would like something that is as clean-mixing as Tropic Marin and has elevated Ca and Mg, but also has higher alk, preferably around 8-10 dkH. The only other salt that I know is as clean-mixing as Tropic Marin and also has elevated elements is the ESV B-ionic, but none of my LFSs stock them, and it seems ESV are discontinuing it (this is just an inference; BRS has them out of stock on clearance). Do you guys have any suggestions for clean-mixing salts with elevated major elements?
Coral pro salt from Red Sea is great but its pretty expensive.

Params
Salinity35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium450 - 480 ppm
Magnesium1350 - 1430 ppm
Alkalinity11.5 - 12.5 dKH
Potassium385 - 415 ppm

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav has always been AquaVitro Salinity. Never had any issues with it, mixes up clean, and the parameters are all around NSW which is where I like them to be. I don't like elevated parameters in my salt.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? Julian Sprungs Accurasea1 salt is prepackaged in bags that make 4.5 gallons each or 50 gallons each and since you mix the entire bag you don't need to worry about settling... something to consider.

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? Julian Sprungs Accurasea1 salt is prepackaged in bags that make 4.5 gallons each or 50 gallons each and since you mix the entire bag you don't need to worry about settling... something to consider.
My tank is 40 gallons; I do a 5 gallon water change every 1-2 weeks.

Coral pro salt from Red Sea is great but its pretty expensive.

Params
Salinity35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium450 - 480 ppm
Magnesium1350 - 1430 ppm
Alkalinity11.5 - 12.5 dKH
Potassium385 - 415 ppm
I used to use the Red Sea salt a long time ago; my problem with it was that there was always this residue, and it didn’t store well.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost there with you, time for new salt. I've been using RPM Blue, and have been considering Aquaforest Reef Salt mix. It's close to RPM Blue for parms but costs a little less. I wish Seattle Corals would stock it but I didn't see any Aquaforest last time I was in.

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost there with you, time for new salt. I've been using RPM Blue, and have been considering Aquaforest Reef Salt mix. It's close to RPM Blue for parms but costs a little less. I wish Seattle Corals would stock it but I didn't see any Aquaforest last time I was in.
Wait a see, Seattle corals is one of my LFSs… HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE I LIVE?!? RAAAAAAAA

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently using aqua forest, but coming from IORC the parameters of the AF are a bit low for my liking, so may be running a mix from here on out.
The AF sea salt parameters seemed low for my system needs so I use the AF Reef and it’s been a solid salt for me.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AF sea salt parameters seemed low for my system needs so I use the AF Reef and it’s been a solid salt for me.
May try the AF reef, or mix it with the regular AF and see how it goes. I'm dosing AFR, but I'm needing to up the dosage on both tanks a bit, so I'll have to do something soonish on the salt angle as I'm down to 1L of powder mix left.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back