This aluminum stand able to hold a 250 gallon (3,500+ lb fully loaded) aquarium...?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily, just take into consideration how much weight each foot will have on it compared to how strong the floor it is going on will handle.
You mean like tile (it could crack it); linoleum (it could dent,gouge it); wood (it could dent it); etc...?

What do people normally do in those instances...?

I assume it would be "OK" on carpet (other than leaving marks where the feet are...?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 250 gallon tank will be more in the 2,500 lb. range.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't that making it level nearly impossible...?
Nope… buy them little plastic or wooden shims from Home Depot and use them accordingly., that stand should be plenty strong without the feet

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope… buy them little plastic or wooden shims from Home Depot and use them accordingly., that stand should be plenty strong without the feet
The composite ones are great! I would shim directly under the legs first, then add additional shims between.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would everyone get rid of the feet...?

All of the larger 200+ gallon (and even the smaller) Red Sea and Waterbox stands come with the adjustable feet... and don't know of anyone who has taken them off...

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would everyone get rid of the feet...?

All of the larger 200+ gallon (and even the smaller) Red Sea and Waterbox stands come with the adjustable feet... and don't know of anyone who has taken them off...
I’d have to know exactly what they were made of, the diameter, and thread characteristics before I would trust them long term. As long as it’s corrosion proof and rated for the load it’s fine. Treat it like a structural bolt.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
keep the feet. my 120 stand has 4, 3/4 diameter bolts. makes it a pleasure to level. and if it settles after filling you can level it full.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me no.
My thinking was it spreads out the weight more evenly rather than on 8 or 10 1” feet, and that’s important IMM.

I was prepared to shim, but the floor was level, so stand and tank followed suit.

I noticed none of the LFS displayed had feet either.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like tile (it could crack it); linoleum (it could dent,gouge it); wood (it could dent it); etc...?

What do people normally do in those instances...?

I assume it would be "OK" on carpet (other than leaving marks where the feet are...?
Correct on the non concrete slab floorings. If you're going to set it straight onto a concrete slab (or something solid on the slab) then go ahead and use the feet. If going onto a flooring material that may eventually sag, well personally I would rethink that. If you take the feet of you will spread the weight PSI over a larger area. And if you were to do it that way, it's better to have the bottom rails as one long piece with the legs standing on them.
Example,
Flat Bottom Rail with Shim example.jpg

Then if there is any shimming that needs to be done, the shim can go between the bottom rails and the legs. It can be a little more work to set up right but if you use a level and take exact measurements, with a little geometry it can be easily accomplished. This way the bottom rails lay flat on the floor to spread out the weight.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back