This is crazy!

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ride along for this mystery rollercoaster.

I upgraded a 20l reef to a 38g reef tank a few weeks ago. I have 2 clowns, 1 hermit in the tank. Corals, I have 1 (had 2) borneman anemone, frogspawn, Duncan, zoas, hairy mushrooms. Ive had all these corals for awhile now. That's the easy part.

Since moving into this tank I have now lost 3 anemones!!! 1 borenman nem, 1 speckled green BTA (cry!!!) And 1 rainbow BTA (from my 75g BTA...it splits alot)

First Borneman nem, I thought it got sucked down the overflow or went hiding...no biggie, but was upset I couldn't find it. I can't find it anywhere and still have not seen it.

About 2 weeks later I find this sweet green Speckled BTA and put in the tank because my clowns lost thier old BTA in my 20l and I wanted to get them something to sleep in. They take instantly to the BTA...all is good. Until the next morning my new BTA is 100% gone!! I see some small bits of it in the tank and realize I forgot to cover my powerhead and accept the fact that I'm an idiot and move on....ugh! It still stings.

Next, I cover my powerhead with a sponge and move a rainbow BTA from my 75g reef that had been crawling up the glass into my 38g. All is great again. For a few days clowns are now happy again with a BTA....

Until today!!! I see the rainbow BTA this morning. Clowns are sleeping in it as usual. I check again about and hour ago and BTA is 100% gone and small bits of it in the aquarium. NO!!!

Now, I'm at a complete loss of what is eating my nems...? The powerhead is covered and no sign of BTA in sponge, or sump or overflow (90deg, 1" elbow, no overflow box) I check sump, nothing. For now I have placed the hermit in the sump as I am blaming him!! Any thoughts? Have you guys seen hermits eat an anemone? What else could it be? Hermit was also in 20l before upgrade and nems were not the happiest in that tank. I appreciate any help. In my 15yrs of reef keeping this is a new one for me. I really want an anemone in the tank for my clowns.

20200812_204704.jpg 20200813_193421.jpg 20200812_203927.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does sound odd...especially since you are finding "pieces" of them floating around the tank! I would also suspect something is ripping them apart.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In past experience if they are not receiving any nutritional value from the food you introduce into the tank, they go hunting. Normally hosting clowns will feed the anemones but if not enough it will move around to find food. Since they do not have eyes they either got to close to your power head or went into your filtration. Luckily you only have clowns but those lose tentacles could hurt your corals and water quality. Try to make sure you are feeding the anemone. I do have more in my tank to feed but I have found a varied diet of meaty foods that are no bigger than the mouth, no bones and no thick shells are the best for them. Mine also spawn a lot.

7D45EC1E-EEDD-41BF-A5A7-D6BD6988686F.png

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... do you think you might have any other predators on the tank -- maybe shrimp?

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used rock I've had in my workshop for 15 yrs. I tored down 20l and transferred all sand / rocks over. I got a first hand look at everything that went into the tank. I don't think there is anything else in the tank. I think I am going to steal another BTA from my 75 to test the hermit is gone theroy.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine it's the hermit. I would assume the nem would close up tight if it's tentacles were getting picked at repeatedly. If somehow it ends up being the hermit, find someone with aiptasia and see if you have yourself an aptasia eating hermit and trade it for gold.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my questions would be:
how long was the 20l in use before you transferred the rock and sand?
were there nems in the 20l?
are any other inhabitants stressed? showing damage?
could you put a nem in an acclimation box in the new tank and watch it?
I think it is possible that it is either being attacked or rupturing on its own (tho honestly i dont know if the latter is even a thing)
i liked your build thread,
Dave

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 20l was up and running for about 8 months. Originally, I had two nems in my 20l and they were doing "okay". I got those from a friend who had several from a BTA whose been splitting on/off for 10+yrs. So I moved both of those nems into my 75g where they are doing great. The issue in the 20l and nems was I use T5s and his light was a DIY led fixture imo.

Once everything was moved into the 38g all is happy showing no stress. I do like the idea of a beeder box. I think at this point I'm going to do a large water change and wait a few weeks before trying another nem.

Back