This is more of a "what would you have done"

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a message on FB from a co worker asking me if I wanted a 250 gal tank. I messaged back with a prompt yes but how much... Free was the answer. Of course i quickly replied and said ill be there in a minute. So after an hour or so I heard back from my friend saying that her friends that were giving it to me sold it to another man. I was ok with that, a little down in the dumps, but never the less ok with it. A day later I was at work when I ran into my friend and said that the man didnt come through with the money so they decided to take it to the dump. I literally fell on the floor with disbelief. How would yall have handled that. Man I did have my heart set on it.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they were willing to take it to the dump, how good of shape could it have been in? As much as a free tank is an awesome find, sometimes it can be a curse in disguise-

I was totally out of the hobby, brother gave me a 'free' tank, and well, now I have all the stuff I do again. Not sure if I'd still call it a good deal all things considered :xd:

but that does suck regardless, but nothing ya can do about it except laugh or get frustrated. Option A is better IMO.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a message on FB from a co worker asking me if I wanted a 250 gal tank. I messaged back with a prompt yes but how much... Free was the answer. Of course i quickly replied and said ill be there in a minute. So after an hour or so I heard back from my friend saying that her friends that were giving it to me sold it to another man. I was ok with that, a little down in the dumps, but never the less ok with it. A day later I was at work when I ran into my friend and said that the man didnt come through with the money so they decided to take it to the dump. I literally fell on the floor with disbelief. How would yall have handled that. Man I did have my heart set on it.

First i agree that it was pretty crappy of your friend/co worker...they should have reached back out to you....but like Brian said it could have been for the best. Maybe something better will fall in your lap...gotta be optimistic!

As for your question - I would have told my co-worker no thanks, my fiance will kill me if i bring home a 250g tank!!! LOL

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone offer me a free tank. Drove 30 mins to go pick it up and it had a crack right down the middle. They did not think it was a big deal. It worked for their snake. Wish they would of told me that in advance. Remember the old saying nothing in life is free. It might be good that you did not get it. But it might have been good that you did. You just have to forget about it and wait for the next deal to come along.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The condition of the tank matters as to how I would have reacted. If it was any any kind of good condition I would have to say your friend made a bad choice, seeing how two people(probably more on craigslist) were willing to pay for something he threw away. I would have been a little upset. The tank was probably busted though.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bummer. I agree that if they were willing to take the tank to the dump it was probably busted. As far as hadling the after situation, I have a very hard time not saying what is on my mind. I don't think I would complain or lay into them or anything like that.... I mean it was an offer of a free tank, but I would probably let them know that I was really bummed about it and at least ask why they didn't reach back out when I was clearly interested.

Kindof depends how your relationship is with the co-worker. Definately wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable, but curiousity would probably win out over not saying anything.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer would have been yes as well.

As pointed out, the tank was probably in crummy condition. Maybe the previous owner had used copper in it...you never know the whole story.

I got a free 125g tank this summer. It was a "reef" but had a rotting DSB in it (six years of accumulated waste, that was a nitrate factory), was being run off of PC lights, and had only 2 CPR backpacks for filtration.

That has all changed now, but free tanks are never "free". :D

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm scared of free tanks. 200 gallons of water on your floor ain't no fun.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see even a huge wet-vac putting much of a dent in the damage. One word...catastrophe.

To the OP...If you didn't say another word, your response was correct (simply fall on the floor in disbelief/heartbreak...pout for a while...get back up and start posting on R2R again).

OP
OP
MurseBS

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I hear "dot dot dot" the tank was actually in use. But they had a lease and they were on their last day and they did not want to move it and start over sooooooo.
But yall are correct because if they were willing to let it go for literally nothing, something had to be up with it.

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day before you were in the same place you are now. We all miss out on deals that seem earth-shattering to us at the time. I guess all I can say is bummer dude, move on. Nothing positive will come of harping on it with friend/coworker as I am sure you can imagine.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I hear "dot dot dot" the tank was actually in use. But they had a lease and they were on their last day and they did not want to move it and start over sooooooo.
But yall are correct because if they were willing to let it go for literally nothing, something had to be up with it.

I think you're exactly right. I've never seen anyone give away a perfectly good tank of that size. I've given away small frag tanks to friends before. They held water fine but were far from perfect. I think they knew that there were issues with it and their conscience got the best of them. They likely did the right thing by taking it to the dump. Working relationship saved....lol.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back