This is one way to "double" your money in your reef tank!

Anemones in a reef tank....

• are hard to keep.

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • are easy to keep.

Votes: 177 41.1%
  • shouldn't be attempted.

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • depends on the anemone.

Votes: 193 44.8%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 19 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry but I am on the cool bus of people who think anemones are super awesome! BUT I'm also on the realistic bus that they are somewhat difficult to house in a reef full of corals because anemones move and they sting! They also love to feed themselves to powerheads and water movers!

That being said...

Do you keep an anemone in your reef tank and have you ever "doubled" your money by having one split?

@Garin fisher shared this awesome video of his Bubble Tipped Anemone in a time lapse video!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my 40b mixed reef. 2 x Haddoni and an RBTA. With careful consideration and a willingness to move things around when needed, they can be kept successfully. IME once they are in a spot that makes them happy, they will typically stay put unless something changes.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two RBTs in my 300 mixed reef. Thus far, they have each remained a single animal, small, and kept the bubbly tips (the ones I had in a previous system flattened and stretched out their tentacles), and it's been nearly a year and they're still where they were placed. These two have been easy. Previous attempts, not so much.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are easy to keep after your tank is well established. But their effect on corals is another issue altogether. It can be a fingers crossed scenario when you purchase one regarding the possible havoc it may cause. P.S. I love the split video clip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
had three split within 2 months in same tank then went on a stinging spree. Then, trying to get them off the rock and out of my tank !!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one RB BTA in my DT, and soon after had 4. They took up too much real estate so I set up a small AIO for them, and now have about 15 of them and have sold at least 10. I love them, but I won't put them in my DT going forward as it's too dificult to manage them with the corals.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 nems, H Magnifica, LTA, 2 large rainbow BTA’s that split regularly and I sell, and 3 rock flowers. Only the LTA traveled around a rock and ended up right where I had it to begin with. I find if you give each specific kind of nem the correct location, rock or sand, lighting and flow they prefer, they stay put. The only nems I ever had that moved on a regular basis was mini maxi nems. Just my personal experiences

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many anemones over the years. Amazing animals and have just had my RBTA split twice so now I have 3. I have also however watched my tank being destroyed as a Malu anemone wandered into one of my gyres. I lost the entire contents of the tank. Not sure I would have another one to be honest. I do miss my clowns hosting one though.

Kernowzx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the "model" (and I'm talking at least 12 different varieties) I am having them split or produce babies which stick to the glass! These are all from real live rock from the Gulf of Mexico not shop bought anemones.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, got one Rainbow BTA this spring, I now have 7, all seemingly healthy. Feed a few times a month along with aminos. For me what seems to cause the split is cleaning the wave pumps. Just about every time I take a single pump out to soak overnight, a day or two later at least one of them splits or moves to a new location.

Marcus Khuu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rose BTA that I purchased about 2 years ago and now I have 5 due to it splitting several times. The splits eventually resulted in 5 mini BTAs about .5-1" in width. Not sure if the resulting small size is normal but they're all bright fluorescent pink in color.

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I will ever have a tank with out a BTA. But also when mine splits it’s easy to find a new home for.
DC47DBEE-6A59-43DD-BA8C-94F94E65929F.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back