This is why acclimation boxes are winners!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Sending you an email now.

welly18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14" Shu! Couldnt be happier! Thanks Matt

IMG_8806.JPG

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removed the tank devider tonight. There was some showing off and a little chasing here and there but that's it. The PBT fought back when the Achilles came close. They are doing just fine as of right now. I'll keep you updated.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I spoke to soon. Last night everything was going good. Even did a double check before bed and there was no aggression. This morning the PBT has been beat up badly. I am so bummed. Not that I can't keep the PBT in the tank but that I put the fish in there with that monster.... :(

I have the PBT in the frag tank but he's not looking good. Anything I can do @Humblefish to help at this point?

I feel terrible but the aggression through the tank divider had stopped and there was little to no aggression after release.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spoke to soon. Last night everything was going good. Even did a double check before bed and there was no aggression. This morning the PBT has been beat up badly. I am so bummed. Not that I can't keep the PBT in the tank but that I put the fish in there with that monster.... :(

I have the PBT in the frag tank but he's not looking good. Anything I can do @Humblefish to help at this point?

I feel terrible but the aggression through the tank divider had stopped and there was little to no aggression after release.

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it pulls through.:(

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that @revhtree :(

As we've discussed before a few days of social acclimation when mixing two iffy species is quite short. I would keep them separated (even when all looks good) for ~8 weeks.

You can treat with antibiotics in a separate tank to prevent bacterial infections (contact me for specific protocol). Past that feed high-quality foods enriched with selcon (or similar).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Assuming the PBT has visible cuts/injuries, I would give him a MB bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/

Or if you have NFG, that can be used for the bath treatment instead: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

If he's looking better come tomorrow, then my next move would be to give him an acriflavine (antiseptic) bath to ward off infection: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

I wouldn't dose antibiotics (if needed) until he's eating & looking a little better, as those are slow to act and will just suppress appetite. He just needs clean water, vitamin enriched foods and medicated baths to help heal his wounds for right now (assuming he's not too far gone).

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I thought he was going pretty quick as he was on his side breathing heavily. Said a prayer, yes I pray for fish Ha, and left the lights off. Just went down and he's swimming around. I fed him and he ate fine. Mostly just frayed fins.

The plan is to nurse him to health and either give him to a responsible reefer or remove the Achilles.....we'll see.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PBT is looking good and eating.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear! I don't have one but they are one of my favorite tangs to admire!

bcpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev....whasmts the apprehension with leaving the PBT in the box for more than a few days? Do you want to cause ad little late stress as possible to the PBT?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back