Thoughts on my new aquascape?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pointers / suggestions for my new scape?

3DB0FE72-274F-48B7-91EC-42D2A8897B8D.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. And you can always add to it later if you want. The only change I would make is the egg crate. I did the same thing in my 125. Not crazy about it now. Just seems like a detritus trap and makes maintenance harder. If I had it to do over (without tearing the tank apart), I would trim the egg crate to just under the rock or do away with it altogether. On my new build, I just didn't use it. I guess in time I'll learn if I like it better or not.

Just something to think about.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, personal choice and I've always like the two island design.
BTW, I've never understood the advantage of using egg crate although I've read some claims that it dissipates rocks' weight, etc. I don't use it primarily because I like the many animals that dig/bury in substrate and want to give them as much room as possible.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, personal choice and I've always like the two island design.
BTW, I've never understood the advantage of using egg crate although I've read some claims that it dissipates rocks' weight, etc. I don't use it primarily because I like the many animals that dig/bury in substrate and want to give them as much room as possible.
I built my structures outside of the tank and used the egg creat as a way to move it over it will be covers in sand later, I also saw the thing about it dispersing weight so that was a added bonus

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the 2 islands layout. For me though I would raise the height of one of them, probably the left side in your layout. Breaks up the uniform look and provides a place higher up for corals that require higher PAR levels.

Not a fan of the egg crate as I believe, as has been mentioned, they trap detritus and are difficult to clean. If you are concerned about distribution of weight I woud suggest ABS sheet or Starboard siliconed down to the tank bottom.

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it looks great. As others said, fish will love the room to roam. Plans for corals later? I have kind of the same setup but only keep soft corals so I am not concerned about high up placement for SPS.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the 2 islands layout. For me though I would raise the height of one of them, probably the left side in your layout. Breaks up the uniform look and provides a place higher up for corals that require higher PAR levels.

Not a fan of the egg crate as I believe, as has been mentioned, they trap detritus and are difficult to clean. If you are concerned about distribution of weight I woud suggest ABS sheet or Starboard siliconed down to the tank bottom.
I’ll be covering it in sand so I don’t believe the egg crate will be a problem but correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll absolute take that suggestion on easing up the left side any suggestions on how to do that?

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it looks great. As others said, fish will love the room to roam. Plans for corals later? I have kind of the same setup but only keep soft corals so I am not concerned about high up placement for SPS.
I’m gonnna go for a mixed reef but I do wanna focus in on sps.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my structures outside of the tank and used the egg creat as a way to move it over it will be covers in sand later, I also saw the thing about it dispersing weight so that was a added bonus
I totally get it. The bottom panel of my 125 is completely unsupported. I can literally reach up from the cabinet and touch the bottom panel. I still think it was not a bad decision to use the egg crate. I just think I could have reduced the footprint. On the new build, the bottom panel has a layer of supporting foam. In this case, I think the egg crate is pretty much unnecessary.

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another set of rocks or maybe pull the rock in the left front corner and use the "bridge" piece from the center to put up top. Leave the center rock as it's own small island.

Edit: I have confused my rights and lefts. I would suggest adding a layer to the larger right side (as you face the tank) bt moving the white rock from the front right and the bridge piece to the top of the formation.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 178 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back