time to dive in!

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone if you havent seen my previous post i recently purchased a 240 gallon 8 foot by 2 by 2 foot tank with a 60 gallon sump.
This is going to be my build/advice needing thread, so my first venture will be lighting. I really am going to push for an all out reef tank, try to keep in mind im a 21 year old full time student with a full time job. That being said i am on a budget lol so does anyone have any suggestions for where i can find some eco tech leds at a great price that would be great lol!
so here are the questions.
1how many will i need for an 8 foot long tank?
2how high above the tank should they be hung?
3where can i find a place that sells hanging fixtures for this size tank or if anyone has built a hanging fixture them self and could give me some advice or a thread to follow!

thanks in advance for any help or tips, this is my first large aquarium set up so its going to be a long journey hope everyone here will enjoy the ride with me!

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full-time student/full-time job/full-time hobby. Hmmm. That's a nice size tank. I wish you the best. Can't answer your question about LED's a great price, sorry.

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full-time student/full-time job/full-time hobby. Hmmm. That's a nice size tank. I wish you the best. Can't answer your question about LED's a great price, sorry.

haha thanks man! i know don't get me started, but if you want something bad enough you have to go for it! i got the tank for a steal i couldnt pass it up!

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone who is following along:D
aqua1.jpg
aqua2.jpg
super excited to pick her up today!fully set up all she needs is a good buffering and a new paint job!
Looking into the hydras for lighting and a a few different calcium reactors cant wait to start her up!

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while but I finally have some free time!
Let the games begin!!!!
Heres goes my first real build thread

1st things 1st
Sanding!

Attachments

• 1381701844865.jpg
    1381701844865.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 1381701865431.jpg
    1381701865431.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 249
OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone thats following

Finally finished the sand job took a long time and Im going to have to skip doing shoulders at the gym tomorrow but shes done!
Next step is to get some good oil based paint
Then get her buffed up nice and pretty
Its going slow but its going:)

Attachments

• 1381976451304.jpg
    1381976451304.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd you get the paint to look like that? What's that called? Looks good.
wish i could take the credit lol
actaully since i bought it from someone else this was the original base its a wooden stand but with wood laminate all around it.(which is the color you see now)
they painted over it with white, idk why, so i sanded it all off
now im going to go over that with a primer and then just black.

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time with eco tech leds.
These do just as good and 10 times cheaper.... A lfs had eco tech on their frag tanks and got rid of them very quick. I have had no experience with them But I sure wouldnt pay that money for them....

2013 Full Spectrum Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light Coral Reef Marine Fixture | eBay

belive me i've already thought about that lighting but it in all honestly i want all the extra features i want a self timed sunrise sunset phases of the moon completely controllable lighting system so my tank has as much stability as humanly possibly and to fit my liking i know it s a lot more expensive but in this hobby you get what you pay for and even thought itll take me a little while to save up im going to wait on it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks good!

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into reef radiences LEDs. Very cost effective full spectrum lights. He has a bunch of different options and your not going to have to spend more than a thousand dollars

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back