Tiny bubbles on the surface of the display tank

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

As mentioned in the title, I have an AIO 32G, 1.5 months old.

Lately, I am having some tiny bubbles on the surface. (See pic below)

The bubbles seem to be created by the jet of water coming out of the return pump, pushed down by the jet, like a small vortex and then they rise up and stagnate on the side of the aquarium where there is little agitation.

- I have already checked my tunze9001 skimmer (if on or off, it doesn't change; my skimmer doesn't even produce any foam, just kind of boiling water because I think there's no much to skim). I don't have any corals or fish. Just 20 inverts.
- NH3 is 0 / NO2 is 0.075 / NO3 is 25ppm / PO4 is 0.08ppm.
- There's no oily water on the surface that could trap the bubbles; (bubbles can be easily removed manually and they don't stink or leave yellowish water on the cleaning paper.
- I also tried to direct the outflow of the return pump upwards so as to create more agitation but it's still the same thing

What it could be?

IMG_0674.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys!

As mentioned in the title, I have an AIO 32G, 1.5 months old.

Lately, I am having some tiny bubbles on the surface. (See pic below)

The bubbles seem to be created by the jet of water coming out of the return pump, pushed down by the jet, like a small vortex and then they rise up and stagnate on the side of the aquarium where there is little agitation.

- I have already checked my tunze9001 skimmer (if on or off, it doesn't change; my skimmer doesn't even produce any foam, just kind of boiling water because I think there's no much to skim). I don't have any corals or fish. Just 20 inverts.
- NH3 is 0 / NO2 is 0.075 / NO3 is 25ppm / PO4 is 0.08ppm.
- There's no oily water on the surface that could trap the bubbles; (bubbles can be easily removed manually and they don't stink or leave yellowish water on the cleaning paper.

What it could be?

IMG_0674.jpg
Not abnormal and likely proteins or bubbles rising to the surface. If you have an overflow, your water level is low and is barely flowing into the box. If not, insufficient surface maovement

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

dave001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms or something else growing in the return pump pipe? Could clean with 3% peroxide to see it helps?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've clean the pump and the pipe few days ago...

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not abnormal and likely proteins or bubbles rising to the surface. If you have an overflow, your water level is low and is barely flowing into the box. If not, insufficient surface maovement
+1 Surface agitation. Do you have a specific wave maker or flow maker of some sort other than your return pump?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nop, returning pump is my only flow maker.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct the nozzle all the way up to brake the surface tension but it seems having a strange result: much more bubbles are flowing in the display tank but they don't pile up in the corner

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct the nozzle all the way up to brake the surface tension but it seems having a strange result: much more bubbles are flowing in the display tank but they don't pile up in the corner
This is called gas exchange :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water surface looks flat. Better to get a powerhead in there and aim it at the water surface to get that stuff back in the water so your skimmer can skim it out. Stuff floating on the surface can’t be filtered out, improving the flow in the tank will help.

The return nozzle is to return water, get a power head to improve the flow in the tank.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering I'll have in the future some corals, should I get a power head or a wave maker?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It may break surface but not provide the necessary movement
You have a mechanical filter but lack chemical and biological
A hang on protein skimmer will help as will a hang on bio power filter or ideal. - hang on region such as cpr backpack

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer in the back chamber of my sump. Should be enough?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised the nozzle even higher and now I can hear the sound of the water smashing on the surface and tons of small/big bubbles are coming and spreading out like crazy. Is that normal?

IMG_0684.jpg

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one small powerhead pointed up at surface to aid gas exchange & create a more random flow.
Worth adding one.doesnt have to be super expensive a basic one such as hygger or a small sicce would do

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, now the bubbles burst after they are formed. Water splashes lightly on the glass. But there are hundreds of bubbles

IMG_0686.jpg

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t make yourself a mess :p Just enough to create a rippling effect, no big splashing. That’s just gonna lead to precipitation on the areas that should be dry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back