Tiny white bugs swimming everywhere? Pods?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was looking at my elegance coral, it is retracted this evening, which in my experience isn’t too unusual for my corals to retract at night. Anyway, while staring into the aquarium with a flashlight I noticed these tiny white bug like things swimming EVERYWHERE! Reminds me of when I hatched brine shrimp, they seem attracted to the light, what the heck are they!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pods or some sort of broadcast spawn. Any pairs of fish or inverts known to spawn in captivity in your setup?
They definitely look like some sort of shrimp, I think I see a small blackeye and a tail, the way they swim looks like how shrimp use their tails to swim. That said no idea what kind of shrimp they would be mysis? There has to be 1000s of them

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely look like some sort of shrimp, I think I see a small blackeye and a tail, the way they swim looks like how shrimp use their tails to swim. That said no idea what kind of shrimp they would be mysis? There has to be 1000s of them
Regardless of what it is it's a sign your tank is incredibly healthy so good on ya lol

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded to YouTube and put the link in the OP, not that it’s a great video haha but should be able to get an idea
Ok that's a lot of waterborn swimmers. I don't have any tanks with lights out, to look... They do look like some sort of look larvae. I've never noticed that many free swimmers.. May not have really looked through..

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are bigger than I usually
Ok that's a lot of waterborn swimmers. I don't have any tanks with lights out, to look... They do look like some sort of look larvae. I've never noticed that many free swimmers.. May not have really looked through..
Yeah it was the quantity and relatively large size that made me think not necessarily pods

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, here is a, nearly photo realistic, artist rendering of what I saw

critter drawing.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back