Tips for Dialing In Your Skimmer

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that most skimmers don't come with assembly directions let alone directions on how to get it to perform at its peak potential. After having my SkimZ Monzster SM 203 for 6 months, I've come up with this.

Place the skimmer right next to your overflow drain pie
Put it in an average depth of water. If the manufacturer recommends 7"-9", put it in 8"
Open the gate and the airline intake all of the way at first
With the collection cup off, close the gate to bring the bubbles right to the top where the collection cup attaches
Now start to close the airline intake until the bubbles coming up are really small
This will raise the bubbles, so adjust the gate accordingly until the bubbles get back to where they are breaking right before where the collection cup attaches
Make small adjustments every 2-3 days until desired skimmate consistency is achieved

Please correct me and include other pointers so we all can have nice dark skimmate!

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always looked for pea size bubbles in the neck of the skimmer, slowly rising. But from what you stated I think it's a very good starting point

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this, you help me out when I first setup my skimmer 7 months ago.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I could never find clear directions for making initial adjustments. Not sure if this is right or wrong. but it's how I do mine ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that most skimmers don't come with assembly directions let alone directions on how to get it to perform at its peak potential. After having my SkimZ Monzster SM 203 for 6 months, I've come up with this.

Put it in an average depth of water. If the manufacturer recommends 7"-9", put it in 8"
With the collection cup off, close the gate to bring the bubbles right to the top where the collection cup attaches
Now start to close the airline intake until the bubbles coming up are really small
This will raise the bubbles, so adjust the gate accordingly until the bubbles get back to where they are breaking right before where the collection cup attaches
Make small adjustments every 2-3 days until desired skimmate consistency is achieved

Please correct me and include other pointers so we all can have nice dark skimmate!
How about running it in vinegar for a day or 2. I couldn't get mine adjusted out of the box and had to do this before I could come close to getting it set up. Otherwise it did nothing but overflow.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks yet again for ur help ur killing it this month helping out everyone u sure u aren't retired?

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about running it in vinegar for a day or 2. I couldn't get mine adjusted out of the box and had to do this before I could come close to getting it set up. Otherwise it did nothing but overflow.
very good pointer. The vinegar removes the oils that are left on the acrylic from when they are pressed at the manufacturer

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yet again for ur help ur killing it this month helping out everyone u sure u aren't retired?
Not retired. LOL, I'm at work right now. I do physical therapy work and between patients I am logged on here .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not retired. LOL, I'm at work right now. I do physical therapy work and between patients I am logged on here .
I have very liberal computer policies at work, also. Nice perk.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pointers! I'm getting really dark skimmate out of my Reef Octopus 202-S and it's pretty dry. I have been wondering about the bubble size in the reaction chamber, they seem a little on the big size. I also don't have any way to fine tune the air intake, it's either 100% or 50%.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pointers! I'm getting really dark skimmate out of my Reef Octopus 202-S and it's pretty dry. I have been wondering about the bubble size in the reaction chamber, they seem a little on the big size. I also don't have any way to fine tune the air intake, it's either 100% or 50%.
Are you trying to skim wet?

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
208801_skimz_replacementreplacementsilencer-3shot_1.jpg

rhese are made by skimz and available on BRS. They allow you to fine tune your air intake

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my skimmer cup every week or every other week during water changes. I clean it in dirty tank water with my hand or a brush. The key is the dirty tank water b/c it keeps the biofilm on there. It is fine to do it in tap water, but the re-break in time may be longer.

I clean the entire skimmer every 6 months in my bath tub. My fiance has no idea, lol. :rolleyes:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people clean their skimmers? Can you use your fingers?
I clean the cup with a tooth brush and the rest of the skimmer with a Mr Clean original sponge.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back