Tips for starting Copper Power?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve read a dozen forums about treating with copper power and different ways people treat with it.

But can I add it directly into a quarantine tank the fish are already in? And slowly ramp up the amount (unsure exact gallon water used). Not sure how much time the henna test needs to accurately tell the whole tank measurements.

This is our first time, little nervous. Also read. Some people only do the 14 days? After this our two clowns will go into a display tank we plan to add reef into. Is it better to do the PraziPro in that tank, or empty out the QT and do it in there with fresh water?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve read a dozen forums about treating with copper power and different ways people treat with it.

But can I add it directly into a quarantine tank the fish are already in? And slowly ramp up the amount (unsure exact gallon water used). Not sure how much time the henna test needs to accurately tell the whole tank measurements.

This is our first time, little nervous. Also read. Some people only do the 14 days? After this our two clowns will go into a display tank we plan to add reef into. Is it better to do the PraziPro in that tank, or empty out the QT and do it in there with fresh water?
Lots of misinformation out there about amine-chelated copper like copper power and coppersafe. This incorrect info is all based on ionic copper that has misapplied to this product.

Yes - you can add it to a tank with fish already in it.

You do NOT want to ramp this up slowly, it does not began working on disease issues until you reach 2 ppm, so your fish are unprotected until then. What you DO need to do is maintain an accurate dose of 2.25 to 2.5 ppm, best measured with the Hanna HR copper checker. I like to add a half dose, let it mix overnight, then test and calculate how much more you need to add to reach a full dose (I can help with the math, but it is basically just figuring what percentage you are at of a full dose).

14 days is too short for copper power - go 30 days, it works slower than ionic copper meds do (but even those should run for 21 days).

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s helpful thank you, I’ve been putting it off all week because of nerves lol.. My QT is 10g but I have not been filling it to the top, maybe 2-3 inch below? I put in exactly 7.5ml and two hours later it read on the Hanna as 2.08.. I want to test again later, do you think I should add a little bit to see if I can get above 2.25?

Also the display tank should be running well by time the copper is done. Should I do the prazipro in that tank, or keep them in the QT with a complete water change?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s helpful thank you, I’ve been putting it off all week because of nerves lol.. My QT is 10g but I have not been filling it to the top, maybe 2-3 inch below? I put in exactly 7.5ml and two hours later it read on the Hanna as 2.08.. I want to test again later, do you think I should add a little bit to see if I can get above 2.25?

Also the display tank should be running well by time the copper is done. Should I do the prazipro in that tank, or keep them in the QT with a complete water change?
Watch the ammonia level in the QT, small tanks can be an issue in that regard.

I’d test tomorrow and see if it dropped any, and then dose it up to 2.25

I’m not sure I understand about you prazi question, but it is generally best to keep fish out of the DT until the full quarantine is done.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back