Tips to trap Anthias

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up with brook in my tank and I have two anthias left that I am trying to trap and remove so I can treat them. Unfortunately they will NOT enter the trap. I am using an IceCap medium. I tried the Nyos but I have 3/4" glass and the magnet is not strong enough. When I put food in this trap it ends up floating out of the trap so the fish don't have to enter to eat. Maybe I should turn all of my pumps off? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I do not want to remove all of my rock.

Thanks!

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your aqua scape allows use a transparent rectangular container. Slowly lower it into the tank near the front glass facing one of the side walls. Use a net in your other hand to direct the fish to the container. It has worked for me countless times. Do everything calmly. Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till a couple hours after lights out when it’s asleep and get it then

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for suggestions but they sleep in the rocks and hide in the rocks first sign of stress.

I am going to try another approach. I bought a large piece of acrylic sheet and I am going to try to separate them from the rocks so I can catch them. We'll see if that works.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just fyi, I was finally able to trap all of my fish and get them into QT. My best result was from using the IceCap only I modified how the door was released. So instead of installing and then removing the rectangular pin to trigger the dropping of the door, which would always get stuck, I simply tied the fishing line to the top of the trap door and manually held it up until fish went in and then let go of the line. It was still a challenge but I did get it to work finally. It's disappointing that there are not better traps available as I tried them all and they each had their issues. I think the best option would be if Nyos would release a larger version of their trap. So now let's hope they all survive treatment in QT!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back