'Tis the Season, can I use my RO/DI waste water for my X-Mas Tree?

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. Last year I had a freshwater tank and I just used the dirty water from the water changes to water my tree. This year, I have no such tank, so I have no waste water. But wait, I do! From my RO/DI.

Anyone ever try it? Results? I need less than 20 days out of this thing, but if I kill it tomorrow, I'm in trouble.

Side note, I do use my RO/DI waste water to water my vegetable garden during the summer, and I had a great garden this year. But that's all growing, not slowly dying, and I add a ton of organic fertilizers there.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never read any statement that would lead me to believe that rodi waste water would harm your Christmas tree. If I were you I would go for it.

Okay, thanks.

As far as I can tell, you are not me. Which leads me to the next obvious question, are you my wife?

Because, while not expensive, if I kill this tree before Christmas, I'm sleeping alone. So are you Erin, and if so, why don't you pay more attention to my hobby!?!?! Further, don't get mad at me if this dying tree dies earlier than you expected.

Side note: wife was adamant about not using dirty fish water on the garden/tree three years ago when I had a fresh water tank. Best years we ever had. Can't use dirty saltwater, so I'll use dirty run off from the RO/DI.

Thanks.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it this way, it has been filtered through a sediment filter and a carbon filter before it goes to the RO membrane where the waste water then goes down the drain. So it has less sediment and has been filtered through carbon = better than your tap water.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason not to use it. Hasn't harmed our tree at all. Still lush and green. Mostly because it's plastic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I would do it. The elevated TDS will probably kill the tree ........

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are talking about a gallon a day? Two weeks left until Christmas so 24 gallons of water. That’s about a quarter. Sure if you want to save a quarter then use your rodi waste water.

I don’t know how much your live tree cost but mine was $70.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are talking about a gallon a day? Two weeks left until Christmas so 24 gallons of water. That’s about a quarter. Sure if you want to save a quarter then use your rodi waste water.

I don’t know how much your live tree cost but mine was $70.
Maybe a gallon a day, whatever is necessary. I just filled a 5 gallon jug with waste water. I'll see how it goes.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my waste water to water all the plants I bring in during the winter, and they all do great. I have never had an issue.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back