To Corner Flow or not to Corner Flow

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain corner flo? I'm currently looking at a Marineland Cube Pre-Drilled with Corner-Flo.

Ideally I would like to put a sump below so I know I need a tank that is drilled or try and do it drill a tank myself, but I don't understand the whole corner-flo thing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, that’s just what Marineland calls their standard corner overflow box. I think these “conventional†overflows are too big and ugly. I will only consider Glass-Holes overflows for any tanks I build. They are small and much less obvious than the conventional overflows found in most predrilled tanks. Buy an undrilled tank and an overflow kit from Glass-Holes and drill the tank yourself. The kit comes with everything, including the drill bit. Just make sure your side glass in not tempered.

OP
OP
planereefer

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, I figured it was a marketing ploy.

I'll double check with marineland before I buy or my lfs who is a dealer of theirs.

As a side note does it make more sense for the overflow to be on the back or the bottom if it isn't tempered.

OP
OP
planereefer

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you feel that a corner overflow takes up valuable real tank real estate? I feel it does, but then again I have nothing to compare it to...

capysolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you feel that a corner overflow takes up valuable real tank real estate? I feel it does, but then again I have nothing to compare it to...

The corner ones take up less space than Aqueon's Mega-flo overflows... Those are huge! I like my corner overflow, but then again, i have a corner tank! :D

cdangel0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type fo overflow is going to take up realestate in the tank. It is really more a matter of how much and where that comes in to play. My 120 has 2 corner overflows. They don't seem to take up much space - but that's probably due tot he size of the tank. 2 corner overflows in a 29g would take up a HUGE portion on the useable tank space.

My 75 has 2 1.5" holes drilled in to the back glass with 90 degree pvc street elbows serving as overflows, take up minimal space inside the tank, but isn't nearly as quiet as a traditional overflow.

I've seen "coast to coast" overflow boxes that take up a ridiculous amount of space, and I've seen them done properly where they barely limit useable space.

OP
OP
planereefer

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type fo overflow is going to take up realestate in the tank. It is really more a matter of how much and where that comes in to play. My 120 has 2 corner overflows. They don't seem to take up much space - but that's probably due tot he size of the tank. 2 corner overflows in a 29g would take up a HUGE portion on the useable tank space.

My 75 has 2 1.5" holes drilled in to the back glass with 90 degree pvc street elbows serving as overflows, take up minimal space inside the tank, but isn't nearly as quiet as a traditional overflow.

I've seen "coast to coast" overflow boxes that take up a ridiculous amount of space, and I've seen them done properly where they barely limit useable space.

I agree, I wouldn't have a problem if I had a rectangular tank, but with a Cube and being limited space wise, I wanted to maximize the real estate.

When I move in a year or so, I'll be getting a bigger rectangular tank and it won't matter then:bigsmile:

:plane:

cdangel0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a small cube tank, you would probably be better served to drill a 3/4" hole in the back glass and use a single pvc elbow to drain to a sump. You can bring your return line over the top. This would give you the ability to use a sump and take up minimal space inside the tank itself. You of course could always look at a HOB overflow box, but I personally don't trust them.

OP
OP
planereefer

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a small cube tank, you would probably be better served to drill a 3/4" hole in the back glass and use a single pvc elbow to drain to a sump. You can bring your return line over the top. This would give you the ability to use a sump and take up minimal space inside the tank itself. You of course could always look at a HOB overflow box, but I personally don't trust them.

Noise wise, what's quieter? 3/4" with a 90 street or something like marineland has in their rectangular tanks which I think would be considered a durso standpipe...I think that what it is called.

My LFS didn't have the marineland/perfecto cubes in stock, so I only had a 90 long to look at overflow wise.

cdangel0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durso would be quieter, but with that being said, quiet really comes from the design of the plumbing. You want to make sure that air doesn't get trapped in the pipe, that's what creates the "gurgle" we all had to contend with 10 years ago. Then someone figured out venting the drain pipe eliminated the problem.

If you want to go the inexpensive route - use a 90 elbow as a drain, on the back of the tank make a 'T' with a short length of pipe running straight up and the drain running down, this will allow air to escape and the water to flow smoothly down the drain eliminating gurgle and keeping your plumbing quieter.

I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm trying to describe in case it's not clear.

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

resurrecting an old post i know but i feel it might be important to note that the marineland "corner overflow" takes up more real estate than the old oceanic boxy corner overflow ( at least to me it seems like it does). with that said, yes it does take up real estate but it is negligable when you consider the aesthetic of an internal overflow vs the god awful ***** HOB overflow units. furthermor i have never ( knock on wood) had an internal overflow lose prime which i cant say for HOB overflows.

Jeremydb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find something that I can use to hide the Canister intake and outflow. I really don't want to drill my 125 gallon Aqueon. is there a suggestion of how to hide these? I thought I was able to buy a corner piece but have not found anything. I don't mind the stuff sticking out the top but the internal pipping I would like to hide.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back