To Klir or not to Klir

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I like the appeal of “no socks” routine every 3 days. I have a Red Sae Reefer 250 where I converted the native ATO into a small refugium (3g). Loaded with marinepure block and seachem matrix, plus a little bit of chaeto and tons of amphipods (see the pic below). The only way I can get Klir is by permanently removing this refugium. My chaeto isn’t growing fast, despite Kessil A80 Tuna. My nitrates are high at 10, phos at 0.1. I like to feed heavily, so I think the rolling Klir may actually work better than my current setup.

Need opinions/suggestions on whether to get rid of this small ATO and move to Klir. Thoughts?

047449DB-A249-4BEF-A9F7-A699E3A64D9A.jpeg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you’re framing this decision more as a “what is better for nutrient export” I think the Klir will win hands down.

The small fuge that is not growing much has other minor benefits, pods, possibly improving pH, hard to say. As long as you don’t have a mandarin or something that needs the source of pods, I would encourage you to go for it!

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those n04 and p04 levels are fine

Thank you guys. Just ordered Klir from BRS and have two sock holders/trays coming from fishtanksdirect, so I can cut to fit Klir. Despite the labor that went into that refugium with drilling, pipes, etc, I can’t resist another opportunity to lessen the maintenance burden. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get this up and working? I have been hesitant because of the mixed reviews
Got Klir from BRS, assembled it, but have not installed yet. I need to tinker with the sock area in Red Sea 250 to make sure it holds 1.5 inches of water above the sock tray line. I have something in mind, may even get to it tomorrow. Will post as soon as done.

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get this up and working? I have been hesitant because of the mixed reviews
Installed. Slight problem with the sensor not working, but the motor is, so until they fix the sensor, I have to press to move fleece. Had to dremmel the heck out of it to eliminate sharp edges and make the bottom plate fit reefer 250. Full details are under page 10 of my build below.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back