To level or not to level

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is the question. Red Sea reefer 250 is out of level front to back. Put shims underneath it and I was not comfortable with the way it feels. Red seas cabinet has plastic feet I shin it and they are off the floor in the middle of the cabinet. However there is a foam pad underneath the tank itself and the tank is current empty. If I add the weight of the water will said foam pad compress and help the tank “self level “ and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much off from level? What type of floor/flooring? IMO I would shim at all contact points to the appropriate amount and would not leave the tank out of level or trust the pad to make up the difference.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52E5EBBB-7D77-4137-BA85-58DB2D6A0C3F.jpeg
that is the question. Red Sea reefer 250 is out of level front to back. Put shims underneath it and I was not comfortable with the way it feels. Red seas cabinet has plastic feet I shin it and they are off the floor in the middle of the cabinet. However there is a foam pad underneath the tank itself and the tank is current empty. If I add the weight of the water will said foam pad compress and help the tank “self level “ and suggestions greatly appreciated.
How much off from level? What type of floor/flooring? IMO I would shim at all contact points to the appropriate amount and would not leave the tank out of level or trust the pad to make up the difference.
looks to be about 3/8 of an inch over a 2 foot level. It’s on hardwood flooring

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
52E5EBBB-7D77-4137-BA85-58DB2D6A0C3F.jpeg

looks to be about 3/8 of an inch over a 2 foot level. It’s on hardwood flooring

Is that the same on both ends or is the tank twisting slightly?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put those felt furniture sliders under the middle pegs so they still make contact with the floor and they will compress a bit as well. My reefer 250 was off front to back, with the back being higher so I shimmed under each foot on the sides and front to get level.

With no euro bracing, I want it level. The foam under the tank only gives so much.

Wish they put the adjustable feet on all the reefer series, not just the big ones..

Might ask in the reefer thread, I think some have added adjustable feet but I wasnt comfortable with modifying it that much

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same on both ends or is the tank twisting slightly?
Same on both ends. I just shimmed around the perimeter. Close to the feet. My only concern is the center brace under the cabinet that I can access. It feels good it looks good I just know the 2 front feet on the cross brace under the cabinet are floating

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put those felt furniture sliders under the middle pegs so they still make contact with the floor and they will compress a bit as well. My reefer 250 was off front to back, with the back being higher so I shimmed under each foot on the sides and front to get level.

With no euro bracing, I want it level. The foam under the tank only gives so much.

Wish they put the adjustable feet on all the reefer series, not just the big ones..

Might ask in the reefer thread, I think some have added adjustable feet but I wasnt comfortable with modifying it that much

I was thinking about switching out to adjustable feet. But like you I’m not comfortable with modifying a pressboard cabinet.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same on both ends. I just shimmed around the perimeter. Close to the feet. My only concern is the center brace under the cabinet that I can access. It feels good it looks good I just know the 2 front feet on the cross brace under the cabinet are floating

That is good news that it is equal and that you are able to shim the perimeter. Maybe I am not visualizing it correctly, but is there a reason that you can't also shim the front two feet?

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news that it is equal and that you are able to shim the perimeter. Maybe I am not visualizing it correctly, but is there a reason that you can't also shim the front two feet?
I can get a shim under the front two feet and the side feet ( haven’t got that far yet I took a beer break lol) Which I will do. The center cross base is the one I can’t get to. But if all the perimeter is shimmed and solid that means all 4 corners are sound I should be good?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@pelphrey, who is active on R2R, posted a video on YouTube a few years ago called "Red Sea Reefer 250 Is Your Tank Level?". Hopefully he can share his thoughts on your question. Additionally, his YouTube channel is worth subscribing to for a lot of other great reefing information.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey, who is active on R2R, posted a video on YouTube a few years ago called "Red Sea Reefer 250 Is Your Tank Level?". Hopefully he can share his thoughts on your question. Additionally, his YouTube channel is worth subscribing to for a lot of other great reefing information.
Great thank you I’ll check him out and if I’m stuck I’ll reach out to him thanks!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and my floor was level, ironically I was looking at my tank the other day and thought “how would I shine this anyway with those rubber feet”.

I’m sure someone has had to adjust their tank, wish I could offer some advice. I’d like to know what others have done as well!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can get a shim under the front two feet and the side feet ( haven’t got that far yet I took a beer break lol) Which I will do. The center cross base is the one I can’t get to. But if all the perimeter is shimmed and solid that means all 4 corners are sound I should be good?

As a general rule with a tank with a frame you only need to be worried about shimming the perimeter of the stand, however I believe that all of your glass sits on the stand so I would encourage you to find a way to support/shim those center feet. It may be overkill, but personally I would be more comfortable to take the time for the extra risk management. Good luck!

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and my floor was level, ironically I was looking at my tank the other day and thought “how would I shine this anyway with those rubber feet”.

I’m sure someone has had to adjust their tank, wish I could offer some advice. I’d like to know what others have done as well!
Came across your YouTube video.
As a general rule with a tank with a frame you only need to be worried about shimming the perimeter of the stand, however I believe that all of your glass sits on the stand so I would encourage you to find a way to support/shim those center feet. It may be overkill, but personally I would be more comfortable to take the time for the extra risk management. Good luck!
yea I know what’s going to happen is I’ll shim it level take some measurements flip the cabinet over and build up the bottom with wood I don’t want to do that but it’s going to be the right job.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea they definitely don’t help at all those plastic feet. I’m going to have to modify the cabinet. Shouldn’t be too terrible to do. But it’s gonna have to get done.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across your YouTube video.

yea I know what’s going to happen is I’ll shim it level take some measurements flip the cabinet over and build up the bottom with wood I don’t want to do that but it’s going to be the right job.
And the.ln reinstall the plastic nubs I forgot that part. If they are like a yontwr one should just be a nail on the back of it I can pull them out and hammer them back in once the wood is added. Eh we shall see.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back