To reseal or to not reseal?

marieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a used 220 gallon tank, it was up and running when I bought it with NO active leaks. The guy I bought it from said it was about 10 years old and might need to be resealed in the future. I really don't want to completely dismantle the tank when it has no leaks. Should I redo the inside silicone without taking it apart or leave it be? There is only one side that I personally don't think looks the best but I need your opinions! The picture of the bottom doesn't show it very well but the top edge is starting to lift a little as well....help

tank.jpg tank1.jpg tankfront.jpg tank4.jpg tank 3.jpg

OP
OP
marieee

marieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ever had to deal with resealing a tank but I would be kicking myself pretty daggum hard if I doubted it but carried on and then had to deal with a leak once the tank was up and running.
completely agree, that would be the worst. I guess I'm just wondering if I reseal the inside of the tank without fulling taking apart the glass (since that silicone looks good) will help or in the long run not do anything since the silicone in-between the glass is the most important.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done a half reseal on two tanks (a 30 and a 72 bow). By half a reseal I mean remove all silicone except for the silicone between the panes of glass, scrub the corners with vinegar, and then put a new bead of silicone down. Idk if your water volume would change how that would work out but it went just fine for the 30 and 72.

Captneteach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make any decisions? I'm currently facing this exact same dilemma on a tank about the same size. It's decision time for me now on either going for just a reseal of the inside beads or tearing apart the panels. My seals between the panels might look a little worse than yours though.. I'm still debating what to do, what Ajax said above is exactly what keeps going through my mind..

Attachments

• 20240331_104534.jpg
    20240331_104534.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240324_135906.jpg
    20240324_135906.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back