To stack or not to stack?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I have a`question.
We are moving sithin the next couple of weeks and are relocating our tanks with us. I currently have the LR in my 110 gal set up in an arch. I can't post any pictures to show you what I mean because my computer recently crashed and I am using my laptop now.

I want to change this around when we move and would like to stack LR on the back so that the rocks taper from high in the back to low in the front.
I have read that you shouldn't stack rock against the glass because it may cause the glass to shatter. Any thoughts about this? Does anyone have rock stacked against the walls? Has anyone had any problems with this or heard of problems with this? Thanks!

coolwheels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rock dirrectly against the back wall of my tank but if it ever collapsed it would prob break the bottom or back you can see pic of it in my gallery

ps just make sure it is stable either dow it or zip tie it

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stacking rock against the back glass can cause the glass to break if a lot of pressure is put on one point. Often only the bottom of a tank is made from tempered glass, so the rest is less resistant to breakage. Also, putting the rock directly against the back limits water circulation around your rock. I like to keep it an inch or so off the glass. You don't lose much room that way and still allow for good circulation.

OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Have either of you ever used eggcrate or plastic pipes to enhance your rockwork?

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do that you with have to use glue and zip ties anyway. try the plastic dowel and epoxy method. this is when you drill holes in both pieces of rock and attach with a dowel and epoxy between the two. with this you are still able to create a back wall that has flow space. with people starting to have die off using encased foam I would stay away from the eggcrate look.

dscott59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried both ways and will never set up a tank agian with rock resting on the back glass... Poor circulation and cant get back behind the rock to clean the glass or retreive that expensive coral that found a way to fall thru the rocks... I also had a friend that had rock stacked on the back glass, was cleaning and doing a water change and the rock shifted and broke the back glass spilling 180 gallons of salt water in his living room.
IMO...... Dale

OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Sounds like most are against stacking against the wall. Maybe I'll try the dowel and epoxy method. I am going to epoxy down all of my loose corals after the move anyway. Maybe by then I can post some pics!

Back