To use soda lime with or without zeolite?

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as a backdrop-
I am about to get a new canister up and fill it with soda lime to contend with lower ph.
In the past I have used BRS soda lime pellets and were..underwhelmed by them. I had to switch out pellets every two weeks or so, and this was after using a solient valve. The two little fishes co2 media is 4x as expensive and not sure by reviews if it really lasts all that longer.

So I found a company that produces soda lime that is medical grade. It incorporates zeolite to prevent drying out.
On one hand -it may last a lot longer (not sure on prices yet) but my question is whether I should be concerned that it may have a major effect on phosphates and nitrates. After all, this is what the zeolite reactors do.
Currently my phosphate is at 0 and nitrates are at 2. As it is, I am about to dose or the other to get them back up a bit (a question for another thread)

has anyone have experience with this or another soda lime brand that they liked that seemed to last a bit longer.
Thank you for reading.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the most knowledgable on CO2 scrubbers, but how would that do anythng for nitrate and phosphate? Only air goes through the scrubber, not tank water. Zeolite (which absorbs ammonia; though the reactor setup is a bit different in the goal) is meant to be in contact with the water.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't expect zeolite in a CO2 scrubber will affect phosphate or nitrate in the tank. But I don't know really and haven't heard of this media. I would be interested in results if you try it. Is it much cheaper than bulk Jorvet soda lime?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think a lot of people use this as well check it out, pretty cheap too

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zeolite in the co2 absorbent media shouldnt effect NO3 or PO4 to my knowledge dont gas out so they will be left in the water column, not effected by the air going through the CO2 media and zeolite

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back