To worry or not to worry, that is the question

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got these white tiny spots all on the back of my glass and some on my zoas. They are raised off the glass and almost remind me of mini barnacles. What are these? Good or bad?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they hard and also hard to scrape off? If so they are most likely filter feeders. They are more of an eye sore then anything else. I'll scrape mine off the back pane of glass of my display but leave them alone to grow in the sump. They way I see it...free natural filtration.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have spirorbid snails on the glass, filter feeder harmless though can be a bit of a PITA for a while...kinda a phase tanks go though.

However IDK whats on the Zoas...as they cant be the same thing.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have spirorbid snails on the glass, filter feeder harmless though can be a bit of a PITA for a while...kinda a phase tanks go though.

Thanks the name was at the top of my tongue but couldn't for the life of me think of it. They are Definitely a PITA!

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why can't they be the same thing?

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spirorbid snails grow on hard surfaces solid surfaces... LR, glass, overflows, pumps....not on fleshy moving things like a zoa's staulks.

white spots on the zoas...are more likely to be eggs of some kind ...and thats not always a good thing.

Are you having issues with your zoas? They are closed here...and upreached are they always like that? or just this shot?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spirorbid snails grow on hard surfaces solid surfaces... LR, glass, overflows, pumps....not on fleshy moving things like a zoa's staulks.

white spots on the zoas...are more likely to be eggs of some kind ...and thats not always a good thing.

Are you having issues with your zoas? They are closed here...and upreached are they always like that? or just this shot?
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the lights went off for the night so they tend to close up then. They look very good when they are opened up and they have been growing like champs if not the best growing coral in my tank honestly.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure the distinction between paly and zoas BUT someone on here once explained that if sand gets onto the stalk of a paly, sometimes it just stays there and the skin grows around it. I have 3 types of palys in my tank and all three have these types of teeny white dots from kicked up sand.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, if you see a zit or cyst type growth that you can pop (do not pop inside tank!!) thats zoa pox.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back