Toadstool rotting in one area. Leave it be, cut it off, iodine?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My otherwise healthy toadstool had some kind of small injury and algae started growing there. I removed the algae and a bit of rotted tissue came off. Since then, if I touch it every few days more dead rotted tissue sluffs of the edges so the hole is slowly enlarging. What do you think - leave it as is, cut off the rotted area to get a clean cut and remove any rot, dip it in iodine or just dab it on or something else?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in the stalk or on the head. If stalk I would cut the stalk above rotting portion and start new and if the head cut to healthy and hope it grows back. If that didn’t work cut entire head off and it should grow back if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned that - it's on the edge of the head. It's not in danger of dying right now, but in a month or so it may be in bad shape. My inclination was to do you you suggested - cut back to healthy tissue, use some iodine and see what happens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My otherwise healthy toadstool had some kind of small injury and algae started growing there. I removed the algae and a bit of rotted tissue came off. Since then, if I touch it every few days more dead rotted tissue sluffs of the edges so the hole is slowly enlarging. What do you think - leave it as is, cut off the rotted area to get a clean cut and remove any rot, dip it in iodine or just dab it on or something else?
It will be hard to answer without a couple of pics under white lighting. Can be stress, shedding o infection but would have to see to best assess what you have

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be hard to answer without a couple of pics under white lighting. Can be stress, shedding o infection but would have to see to best assess what you have
It is closed up right now, but here it is. The brownish area around the damage is some of the algae that keeps trying to grow there. There was no cut, that shape is just how the rot is progressing.

20221228_163158.jpg

20221228_163213.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is closed up right now, but here it is. The brownish area around the damage is some of the algae that keeps trying to grow there. There was no cut, that shape is just how the rot is progressing.

20221228_163158.jpg

20221228_163213.jpg
The brown may be algae accumulation due to lack of water flow as rest of leather has no polyp extension and may have a film developed over it due to flow issue
Direct flow a Little more TOWARDS , not at the leather and you will see a change with green polyps. You Can take a turkey baster and give that area and rest of leather gentle blasts and you will see it perk up. This wont happen overnight but will make a difference

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown may be algae accumulation due to lack of water flow as rest of leather has no polyp extension and may have a film developed over it due to flow issue
Direct flow a Little more TOWARDS , not at the leather and you will see a change with green polyps. You Can take a turkey baster and give that area and rest of leather gentle blasts and you will see it perk up. This wont happen overnight but will make a difference
Actually, I am getting ready to move it because it is in too much flow. I moved it there about a couple of months ago and it was happier where it was before. I just have to shuffle things around first.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Actually, I am getting ready to move it because it is in too much flow. I moved it there about a couple of months ago and it was happier where it was before. I just have to shuffle things around first.
Try it- they are sensitive to flow and its weird because they never film over with high flow

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As to the rot problem, do you think I should just cut it back to healthy tissue?
If you tried turkey baster and it did not clear up, you sure can with a sharp razor as they heal quickly but do this in a container of tank water to alleviate any release of toxins

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back