Too many fish?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a 40b with a Tomini tang, flame hawk, and a green mandarin. I didn’t buy one of the captive bred ones and he’s been eating pellets so do you think he will be fine? I’m getting rid of my 40 breeder and moving my current fish into there
If he is already eating that is a plus for sure. I don't see him not eating once he is in the new tank when the same food source is the same. Good luck and show us some pictures of what you end up going with!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is the kind of post that keeps the disease forum going daily for eight straight years
@brandon429 Thanks for mentioning this. IMHO one of the more important issues when considering parasites, etc in our aquaria is stocking density and stress. If fish are crowded and constantly being 'chased' - it definitely increases the possibility of a variety of infections.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What live aquaria and others claim as minimum tank sizes are first uneducated opinions and second supposed to represent what's needed to house a full grown specimen. Being that 90% of hobbyists don't survive the first year or two makes opions like this a mood point. A purple will be absolutely fine in that tank.
I'm not sure this is totally true. The numbers on LiveAquaria are certainly opinions, but not sure they are uneducated opinions.

It's been shown, in the wild, that yellow tangs can live to 40+ years. Many other fish can be quite long-lived in an aquarium setting. If what you say is true - that 90% of hobbyists don't survive the first year or 2 means that the hobby should be shut down. It's not to Live Aquaria's advantage to say 'xxx fish needs a 150 gallon tank', right?

In my opinion, there is no way to say that 'absolutely' a purple tang will be fine in that tank. It depends on a number of factors - and the prime one is the particular fish and its habits, etc is chosen, as well as the other tank mates.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What live aquaria and others claim as minimum tank sizes are first uneducated opinions and second supposed to represent what's needed to house a full grown specimen. Being that 90% of hobbyists don't survive the first year or two makes opions like this a mood point. A purple will be absolutely fine in that tank.
Uneducated? Not sure where you get that honestly. Sure its a ballpark guess as fish dont typically reach the size in the tank as listed but it doesnt mean someone can cram 3 big tangs and other fish in a smaller tank and expect them to be okay. Maybe just a purple tang could but in my opinion based on having one. 3 tangs in an 80 gallon not so much. That was more my point. In my opinion. Obviously people are going to have different ones and those seeking advice are going to take advice or not and ultimately do what they want to do. But calling minimum tank sizes uneducated is just not a well educated thing to say considering minimum tank size is an important part of researching the fish and compatibility, especially if multiple sources site the same tank requirements and if others say the same. I agree with @MnFish1 on his assessment of the statement as well. I would ask @vetteguy53081 on having multiple tangs and tank sizes. He is considered an expert by many and has 25 tangs in his huge reef.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Dt gals / 2) - (total max fish sizes *.85). This will tell you how many inches you have left. So, 2 inches of fish per gallon minus 85% of max fish sizes since they rarely brow to 100% in captivity. My tank looks full with 10” left, or 20% left.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(Dt gals / 2) - (total max fish sizes *.85). This will tell you how many inches you have left. So, 2 inches of fish per gallon minus 85% of max fish sizes since they rarely brow to 100% in captivity. My tank looks full with 10” left, or 20% left.
This is an old rule - that doesn't really make sense to me. For example - let's say you have 6 6 inch long pipefish in one tank and 6 6inch long tangs in another. IMHO - the tank with the pipefish can handle more than the other with the tangs - even though the formula based on inches would be the same?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure this is totally true. The numbers on LiveAquaria are certainly opinions, but not sure they are uneducated opinions.

It's been shown, in the wild, that yellow tangs can live to 40+ years. Many other fish can be quite long-lived in an aquarium setting. If what you say is true - that 90% of hobbyists don't survive the first year or 2 means that the hobby should be shut down. It's not to Live Aquaria's advantage to say 'xxx fish needs a 150 gallon tank', right?

In my opinion, there is no way to say that 'absolutely' a purple tang will be fine in that tank. It depends on a number of factors - and the prime one is the particular fish and its habits, etc is chosen, as well as the other tank mates.
If you read my first post in the thread I talk about compatibility and care opposed to quantity. I didn't say that the 90% let's there fish expired just that the chances of them seeing a fish reach its full grown adult size us slim to none.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking is all risk mitigation. While none of these choices are doomed to fail, all these choices together are essentially guaranteed to fail. What do I mean by that? Let's go through the list.

2x black ice clownfish
-this choices is totally reasonable and will likely work out regardless of other stocking, but adult female clowns who are actively breeding sometimes get very aggressive with tankmates

Orange back fairy wrasse
-make sure you have tight fitting lid as theyre well-known jumpers. They're also easily bullied and stressed to death. They also very active and this is about the smallest tank I'd keep one in

Sand sifting goby
-the ugly truth of sand sifting gobies is most are hard to ween onto prepared foods and slowly starve after stripping the sandbed of microorganisms. Some take well to them, lots don't. If they don't take well to prepared foods they can strip the sand bed of tanks 200 gallons+

Flame hawk
-probably fine in this tank size but can be aggressive with tankmates and aggression gets more and more likely as tanks get smaller. Also a risk if you add inverts but not guaranteed to eat them. They're also jumpers

Tomini Tang
-would likely work in this tank size but is known to be a bit of a bully. It's the meanest fish in my 120g and uses every single inch of that tank. Also more than tripled in size in a year. Be prepared for it to have some attitude and would probably be best added last at this tank size.

Green mandarin
-really needs a very mature tank or regular pod addition at this tank size even if occasionally picking at prepared foods. They're very deliberate feeders and rarely gorge themselves at meals at least for awhile.

3x anthias (undecided type)
-for them to be most happy they like to be fed at least 2x a day, but it's not STRICTLY required. They are super active swimmers and I'd only suggest the smallest possible anthias for a tank this size. They also don't acclimate to tank life well a lot of the time.

Purple Tang
-honestly I'm pretty against a zebrasoma Tang in a tank this size unless you plan to upgrade. They grow BIG and are very active. They're also hit or miss for aggression and an aggressive Tang is essentially a knife wielding murder-hobo. And again, as tank size gets smaller and tanks get more stocked aggression issues become more likely. They're also fairly disease prone.

Powder blue tang
-incredibly disease prone, way too big at adult size for the tank, and a pretty notorious species for being aggressive.

Copperband Butterfly
-terrible shippers, hard to get eating prepared foods, too big at terminal size for the tank, known to pick at corals, and tangs aren't always nice to them because of body shape. A Tang that doesn't like them would easily bully them to death. Usually need very mature tanks.

Cleaner wrasse
-almost always die quickly in captivity, stress other fish with constant aggressive cleaning behavior, almost never adjust to eating prepared foods, and overall imo are a species we shouldn't even be putting in our tanks.

The odds of the stars aligning for all these fish to work in an 80 gallon tank long term are almost 0%

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uneducated? Not sure where you get that honestly. Sure its a ballpark guess as fish dont typically reach the size in the tank as listed but it doesnt mean someone can cram 3 big tangs and other fish in a smaller tank and expect them to be okay. Maybe just a purple tang could but in my opinion based on having one. 3 tangs in an 80 gallon not so much. That was more my point. In my opinion. Obviously people are going to have different ones and those seeking advice are going to take advice or not and ultimately do what they want to do. But calling minimum tank sizes uneducated is just not a well educated thing to say considering minimum tank size is an important part of researching the fish and compatibility, especially if multiple sources site the same tank requirements and if others say the same. I agree with @MnFish1 on his assessment of the statement as well. I would ask @vetteguy53081 on having multiple tangs and tank sizes. He is considered an expert by many and has 25 tangs in his huge reef.
Doctors Foster and Smith.... people don't forget. I'm not listening to anyone who specializes in selling cat little.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning 25 tangs hardly makes someone an expert. But that's a different story for a different day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you read my first post in the thread I talk about compatibility and care opposed to quantity. I didn't say that the 90% let's there fish expired just that the chances of them seeing a fish reach its full grown adult size us slim to none.
I was just responding to your most recent comment - not to debate it, but so that other people could perhaps learn from what I suggested. As others have mentioned, it's correct to take what LiveAquaria says with a 'grain of salt'. However, the general idea of looking at estimated sizes when planning to stock a tank (as the OP was wanting to do) - to me is sound advice - if only for the reason that many of the larger fish even if they don't get to max size can grow quite quickly.

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently purchasing an innovative marine 80g with the dimensions of 47x18x16. I created a stocking list but I’m not sure if this is too many fish.

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
3x anthias (undecided type)
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
I can’t comment authoritatively besides saying that that seems like a high stock load for an 80, but I am very new to reefing myself, so feel free to disregard.

More importantly, I’m curious about your tank. I have a 75 that is 48x18x21. So I don’t know how a smaller tank could hold 80 gallons. Going by my rough math you have maybe a 60 gallon tank? Either the dimensions or the tank size are off, unless I am missing something very obvious.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM SR 80, and the only tang I even considered adding was a small flame tomini (which I did).

And while I am a member of the Tang Police, I say it with the upmost kindness that the powder and purple tang (especially the purple) should not be in a tank that size. Been reefing for nearly 30 years, and have had a variety of large and small systems. When I decided to simplify and downsize into the SR-80, I knew that I was giving up the opportunity to properly care for tangs, but that was a choice I was okay with.

You might consider the SR-120 or looking for another type of larger 6 foot tanks.

IMG_3180.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment authoritatively besides saying that that seems like a high stock load for an 80, but I am very new to reefing myself, so feel free to disregard.

More importantly, I’m curious about your tank. I have a 75 that is 48x18x21. So I don’t know how a smaller tank could hold 80 gallons. Going by my rough math you have maybe a 60 gallon tank? Either the dimensions or the tank size are off, unless I am missing something very obvious.

I have this tank, the OP removed the back chamber. So you are correct, it’s about 60g display.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just responding to your most recent comment - not to debate it, but so that other people could perhaps learn from what I suggested. As others have mentioned, it's correct to take what LiveAquaria says with a 'grain of salt'. However, the general idea of looking at estimated sizes when planning to stock a tank (as the OP was wanting to do) - to me is sound advice - if only for the reason that many of the larger fish even if they don't get to max size can grow quite quickly.
Grain of salt is putting it nicely as all they did was copy Bornemans opions from the 90s. If I'm not mistaken Eric was the first to write an opinion on compacity for the possibility of owning full grown specimens. Once again an opinion on full grown specimens. For anyone to say outside of common sense what's right or wrong well is just wrong.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grain of salt is putting it nicely as all they did was copy Bornemans opions from the 90s. If I'm not mistaken Eric was the first to write an opinion on compacity for the possibility of owning full grown specimens. Once again an opinion on full grown specimens. For anyone to say outside of common sense what's right or wrong well is just wrong.
Doctors Foster and Smith.... people don't forget. I'm not listening to anyone who specializes in selling cat little.
Not sure who those people are or what a cat little even is? Im not trying to argue but I honestly am confused what point youre actually trying to make. I just dont agree with calling people/sites/sources uneducated but not being able to say why you think that :) again not trying to argue with you. I was offering OP my opinion and why I thought that. Its up to them if they take it or not.

As to answer OP’s question I think tang wise a bristletooth or tomini would be the best long term. There are people who get babies and re home or upgrade once they get bigger so that might be an option. Biota sells some very cute and tiny aquacultured yellow tangs! Mine is about 1.5 inches now, had him 4 months now. That could be a short term option as well. But good luck to whatever you choose to go with. :) and keep us updated

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back