Torch mouth open and deflated

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed a torch its mouth open and now has gotten deflated and it looks like I can see the inside skeleton(?)

Params:
Kh 8
Po4 0.11
No3 20
No2 0
nh3 0
Ca 450
Mg 1425
Light hydra 26 AI HD
PAR at the depth of the coral: 100+/-
Temp 25-26 degrees Celsius
Salinity 1026

It doesn’t look like it has caught anything to eat (I haven’t fed anything which could do this) and it has been like this for an hour now.

IMG_1777.jpeg IMG_1776.jpeg IMG_1775.jpeg

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much to add but every once in a while my Euphyllia look terrible for a few days but come right back. Mostly frogspawn. Also vermited snails will bug them to.

Any swings in parameters lately?

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have much to add but every once in a while my Euphyllia look terrible for a few days but come right back. Mostly frogspawn. Also vermited snails will bug them to.

no swings. It just went like this and throughout the day it looked like it started to somewhat regain itself(?) I still have to see how it’ll do tomorrow. Hopefully it was him just being irritated and no more. I’d be bummed out to lose these.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this when the defecate, black stringy poop. However the colony never goes all at once, usually a few at a time.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update:

Yesterday after a couple of hours it seemed inflated and happy again, today the first couple of hours also fine, now back to being deflated and whatnot. Going to check after a couple of hours to see whether it’s back to normal again.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine look awful before and during the head splitting, perhaps yours about to split. The same, as mentioned above, when they poop.
hmmm, I am hoping it's splitting heads. I'd be bummed if it were to die. On a sidenote: Indeed after about 1.5 hours later it inflated somewhat again and is swaying around again. The mouth has gotten tinier as well again, albeit still a bit open. I honestly do think (and hope) its splitting.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, I am hoping it's splitting heads. I'd be bummed if it were to die. On a sidenote: Indeed after about 1.5 hours later it inflated somewhat again and is swaying around again. The mouth has gotten tinier as well again, albeit still a bit open. I honestly do think (and hope) its splitting.
Keep us updated.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular time it takes for heads to split when they're like this? That way I can update around that timeframe.
It can vary from each type of torch and water conditions . Anywhere from a week to a couple months. If I recall for mine, I really haven’t been paying attention like I did at the beginning, 2-3 weeks with some skeletal flesh still attached for a longer period of time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%

Back