Torch skeleton crumpling/being eaten!?!

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple other posts like this one but none with clear answers I have a torch coral with the skeleton being disintegrated away. This torch is not the first lps to fall victim to this issue in my tank. I have a frogspawn that degraded all the way to the fleshy top. There is literally 1/2 of skeleton left that I glued to an old torch coral (my first torch ever a year ago) that didnt make it. I have another frogspawn that has the very bottom being eaten/crumbling away. And the torch this post is about....i will post a photo...my parameters are all normal. Nothing crazy with cal. Or all
Cal. 440
Alk. 8.6
Mag. 1300ish
Phosphate. 0.06
Nitrates. Undetectable redsea test kit
And I just sent out a ati test a week ago.....I have seen these elongated looking pods in the cracks of the torch. They look almost like amphipods. I have no ideal what is causing this please advise

20191101_231140.jpg

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the other frogspawn with the very bottom chewed out like an axed tree ready to fall

20191027_170304.jpg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you replenish calcium? Your old coral skeletons will dissolve to keep it up if available.

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you replenish calcium? Your old coral skeletons will dissolve to keep it up if available.
I dose kalkwasser using my ato, I test alk practically daily. And there is never a drop in alk so that means my calcium is not dropping I also do around 20% water change weekly

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have other stony corals that are doing fine. I.e birdsnest, montipora, chalice, favia.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip it

When I have this issue I found those dreaded torch eating flat worms. They don't seem to bother my other euphyllia just torches. They are super hard to spot and somewhat resistant to dipping. takes some time in the dip before they start to show. Seems they hide deep in the skeleton. Can sometimes spot them at night at the base of the tissue

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip it

When I have this issue I found those dreaded torch eating flat worms. They don't seem to bother my other euphyllia just torches. They are super hard to spot and somewhat resistant to dipping. takes some time in the dip before they start to show. Seems they hide deep in the skeleton. Can sometimes spot them at night at the base of the tissue
What product would you suggest I use to dip? If they are resistant to dips would a f.w dip do any good/harm??

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What product would you suggest I use to dip? If they are resistant to dips would a f.w dip do any good/harm??
I use coral RX. It works. I usually heavily agitate the coral and they will show up. Won't kill the eggs though I usually have them come back. I need to be more diligent and probably dip weekly for a few weeks

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral RX. It works. I usually heavily agitate the coral and they will show up. Won't kill the eggs though I usually have them come back. I need to be more diligent and probably dip weekly for a few weeks
Ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks so much!

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Just ordered coral rx pro* I noticed there was a regular coral rx...what's the difference?? I'll receive the pro version monday. I hope that's not gonna be too late

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Just ordered coral rx pro* I noticed there was a regular coral rx...what's the difference?? I'll receive the pro version monday. I hope that's not gonna be too late
Assuming its more concentrated?

I just dipped the one that has had issues. An absurd amount of small flat worms showed up

OP
OP
Thomas Wieczorek

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming its more concentrated?

I just dipped the one that has had issues. An absurd amount of small flat worms showed up
Ok, so I dipped the torch and only 1 "pest" came off the coral. I'll attach photo...my ati test came back also and my water is immaculate. So I'm not sure what the deal is. The pest looks a bit like an amphipod but I'm not 100% sure what it is. The picture is a clear good close up. The pest is 1/4 of a match head size

20191105_215609.jpg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I dipped the torch and only 1 "pest" came off the coral. I'll attach photo...my ati test came back also and my water is immaculate. So I'm not sure what the deal is. The pest looks a bit like an amphipod but I'm not 100% sure what it is. The picture is a clear good close up. The pest is 1/4 of a match head size

20191105_215609.jpg
Yep looks like a pod

mello_dank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this?? did your coral survive? I think I have a similar problem with my hammer

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back