Trace elements debate

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a “ display tank “ at the moment just a 600 gallon grow out system. Will post some “bigger” colonies.
As for your tank / corals, nice setup but your sps are still considered small. When the tank grows in and you will have “ full blown “ big colonies things will change and you will see depleting traces/ effects on corals ( if you wont test/dose).
Tell that to Sunny x lol… listen man I myself and thousands of others were keeping sps way before icp testing or any of these elements and crap that’s out there today even existed! I’m old skool I took a long break and just got back in the game a little over a year ago. We did nothing more than change water and feed our fish and it always worked! It still works! I don’t see any reason to waste money on all these tests, supplements, moon shiners or what ever you wanna feel like doing… if that’s your thang then so be it! But it’s not a necessity by any means to keep a sps reef and a waste of money in my opinion! Reefing is only as complicated as you make it. There’s no right or wrong we all got our ways and all I was saying is there’s zero reason to dose anything if you change water and have a decent bioload that you feed daily.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to but have currently no “display “ only grow out systems. I can post pics about 6-8 inch colonies. So anyway Just looked at the “ my tank thread “ and there are a couple mini colonies nothing I would call “ full blown “ sps. Of course wc are enough to replenish traces in that tank. Lets see that tank in 2-3 years when it should be fully grown in. Well if it makes it to that point in the first place.

I don't remember how long the members display has been up but we all start somewhere, right? Reef maturity is a combination of many things time being one of them. I guess my point is that you could have looked prior to throwing down the challenge card. I didn't understand that one but maybe I read more into it if I am being honest.

Flip side here is a 24" wide colony I have of an acropora from Biota I picked up a while back. I forget the name but what the photo can't capture is the 1" thick branches. Why bring this up is because much like @Troylee it started as a 1" frag and grew over time.

Started with ESV 2 part and later moved to AFR. Both worked great I just like the simplicity of a single solution. To continue my support for ESV I moved the 2nd dose head to ESV transition elements.

Anyway hope your day is going well and all the best with those grow out tanks. I enjoy watching little frags grow into colonies.

1714698958061.png

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell that to Sunny x lol… listen man I myself and thousands of others were keeping sps way before icp testing or any of these elements and crap that’s out there today even existed! I’m old skool I took a long break and just got back in the game a little over a year ago. We did nothing more than change water and feed our fish and it always worked! It still works! I don’t see any reason to waste money on all these tests, supplements, moon shiners or what ever you wanna feel like doing… if that’s your thang then so be it! But it’s not a necessity by any means to keep a sps reef and a waste of money in my opinion! Reefing is only as complicated as you make it. There’s no right or wrong we all got our ways and all I was saying is there’s zero reason to dose anything if you change water and have a decent bioload that you feed daily.
Not every trace element is depleted equally. So in the long run there is absolutely a reason to dose those the ones that are depleted. Not all trace elements are important but there are a few that are important. We are not talking about a 1-2 year old tank. Everyone can get there. But 4-5-10 years with big colonies is a different story.
Have a nice day

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every trace element is depleted equally. So in the long run there is absolutely a reason to dose those the ones that are depleted. Not all trace elements are important but there are a few that are important. We are not talking about a 1-2 year old tank. Everyone can get there. But 4-5-10 years with big colonies is a different story.
Have a nice day
lol… I had that 10 years ago before life got in the way.. and exactly, not all trace elements are depleted equally so changing water can reset anything out of balance it’s like the duct tape of reefing… go ahead search my name I’ve been on numerous reef sites for 20 years or so.. always kept sps and always will! I’m not saying you’re wrong I’m saying it’s not needed if you know the fundamentals and stay vigilant with them. Everything boils down to the basics and it only gets harder if you make it harder.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a nice day
This was one of my tanks over 15 years ago.. I had an under gravel filter for filtration and I had big colonies and they were grown under vho lighting with no supplements.. icp was nothing more than a couple clowns rapping and wrestling haha! None of these supplements or snake oil was out there then! We had water changes and very few test kits..
IMG_3632.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of my tanks over 15 years ago.. I had an under gravel filter for filtration and I had big colonies and they were grown under vho lighting with no supplements.. icp was nothing more than a couple clowns rapping and wrestling haha! None of these supplements or snake oil was out there then! We had water changes and very few test kits..
IMG_3632.png
The video in post 77 is really interesting and Christoph mentions that he thinks one of the reasons tanks worked well in the distant past was that there was lot of unintentional trace elements dosing. Some from food, some from not so pure 2 part or kalk etc… that was used. He stated that additives these days are too pure, hence that can lead to trace element deficits…. Interesting point of view.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3632.png

So you're saying that nobody has learned anything about coral growth, nutrients, major and minor elements, lighting, flow, etc in the last 15 years?

Are LED lights and programmable powerheads "snake oil" too?

Just because something works doesn't mean there aren't other things that work better. I setup my first reef tank in 1992, so I've been around. I've embraced a lot of the new technology, though. I know for certain that I'm having better results now than I did back then, and it's a lot easier.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying that nobody has learned anything about coral growth, nutrients, major and minor elements, lighting, flow, etc in the last 15 years?

Are LED lights and programmable powerheads "snake oil" too?

Just because something works doesn't mean there aren't other things that work better. I setup my first reef tank in 1992, so I've been around. I've embraced a lot of the new technology, though. I know for certain that I'm having better results now than I did back then, and it's a lot easier.
Not saying that at all! He’s saying you can’t keep sps without dosing trace elements…but then retracted his statement saying anyone can for a year after he went through my current build thread.. go a few pages back.. that’s incorrect! It’s been done and always will be.. ask Sunny x or coral reef tank “crt” how many trace elements they dose? You get plenty with feeding your fish a variety of food and changing water.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying that at all! He’s saying you can’t keep sps without dosing trace elements…but then retracted his statement saying anyone can for a year after he went through my current build thread.. go a few pages back.. that’s incorrect! It’s been done and always will be.. ask Sunny x or coral reef tank “crt” how many trace elements they dose? You get plenty with feeding your fish a variety of food and changing water.
Perhaps @SunnyX will drop in and show how his tank is looking from no trace dosing and simple water changes?

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol… I had that 10 years ago before life got in the way.. and exactly, not all trace elements are depleted equally so changing water can reset anything out of balance it’s like the duct tape of reefing… go ahead search my name I’ve been on numerous reef sites for 20 years or so.. always kept sps and always will! I’m not saying you’re wrong I’m saying it’s not needed if you know the fundamentals and stay vigilant with them. Everything boils down to the basics and it only gets harder if you make it harder.
I know the basics, am changing water regularly and no in the long term if you dont do a couple 100 % waterchanges you can have some traces critically low.I am not saying you need to dose every trace element as I stated earlier, but the ones that are esetial in the long run.

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said you need to dose traces in a new tank, nore did I say you cant keep sps without dosing traces. Of course you can, having 10 sps in a tank is different than having 150 colonies especially in the long run. What I said is that in the long run people will see effects if some of the essetial traces is depleted. Read what I said before.

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3632.png
Yeah nice, but you dont get my point still. This tank had 7-8 corals in it ? At least waht I can see.There is still plenty of space left on the rockwork. So of course it was enough to change water. “Keeping” Sps or having thriving sps is also a different story. Growth alone cannot dtermine the health of sps.I had sps that grew but overall doesnt look all that helathy. After finding out that Ni, Zn, and F were basically at zero I started dosing and everything is fine now.

LuckyMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinions are here:

I'm glad you added a color chart....that's the only way my ADD could understand anything you said ;)

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank is just over a year old, but is heavily stocked with torches and other corals, my trace elements are depleting just because of the volume at which the corals are growing, sps does take longer to grow, but once they establish into colonies, look out for trace element depletion for sure!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back