Trace Elements

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. so this question is actually about freshwater.. but I need to know lol

I just used RODI water for my freshwater tank. Then I realized my water will have no minerals. I found supplements online that are meant to go with RODI to replenish those minerals but I see other products that have minerals "required" by fish and they weren't included in the first product. So I'm confused and a little worried because they said switching water could cause "osmotic shock."

http://www.seachem.com/replenish.php
http://www.seachem.com/fresh-trace.php

I'm worried for my fish :/ it's the only one my wife identifies as hers.
IMG_1944.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. so this question is actually about freshwater.. but I need to know lol

I just used RODI water for my freshwater tank. Then I realized my water will have no minerals. I found supplements online that are meant to go with RODI to replenish those minerals but I see other products that have minerals "required" by fish and they weren't included in the first product. So I'm confused and a little worried because they said switching water could cause "osmotic shock."

http://www.seachem.com/replenish.php
http://www.seachem.com/fresh-trace.php

I'm worried for my fish :/ it's the only one my wife identifies as hers.
IMG_1944.JPG
Frop,
What fish species is in the wife's :rolleyes: tank?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frop,

Years ago I kept Discus and I didn't have a RODI unit. So I bought my RODI water from my lfs and they always poured a Seachem product in the water for me.

I just called them and they used and still use.
http://www.seachem.com/equilibrium.php

They said it says planted aquariums but they use it for fresh RODI water on non planted tanks to replace the stripped out elements as well :)

They also said Kent R/O right is good too.
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-ro-right.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frop,

Years ago I kept Discus and I didn't have a RODI unit. So I bought my RODI water from my lfs and they always poured a Seachem product in the water for me.

I just called them and they used and still use.
http://www.seachem.com/equilibrium.php

They said it says planted aquariums but they use it for fresh RODI water on non planted tanks to replace the stripped out elements as well :)

The oscar is the only fish she cares about. I tried to convert that tank into saltwater but wasn't aloud because the oscar. So I got a tank twice as big on Craigslist and she was cool with that ;)

I just bought that planted stuff. So that extra bit of info makes me happy. I also have a 20gal mix tank planted/community too.

Spend $35+ on eligible items for one day shipping.

IMG_2564.PNG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oscar is the only fish she cares about. I tried to convert that tank into saltwater but wasn't aloud because the oscar. So I got a tank twice as big on Craigslist and she was cool with that ;)

I just bought that planted stuff. So that extra bit of info makes me happy. I also have a 20gal mix tank planted/community too.

Spend $35+ on eligible items for one day shipping.

IMG_2564.PNG
Frop,
Who doesn't love an Oscar? :D That's a good woman you got there!
Has she got it jumping out of the water for food yet?

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frop,
Who doesn't love an Oscar? :D That's a good woman you got there!
Has she got it jumping out of the water for food yet?

Ya she doesn't know but I dropped her fish trying to put it back into the tank :eek: fell about 5'. So anyways..

The fish hasn't jumped out while feeding but it has jumped up maybe 1-2" off the water measuring water to nose. I had the feeder fish in the net when I was feeding it and it latched onto the net for a few seconds.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya she doesn't know but I dropped her fish trying to put it back into the tank :eek: fell about 5'. So anyways..

The fish hasn't jumped out while feeding but it has jumped up maybe 1-2" off the water measuring water to nose. I had the feeder fish in the net when I was feeding it and it latched onto the net for a few seconds.
lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Frop,
Your spoiling her oscar with RODI water :D
Did you guys buy it as a baby?

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Frop,
Your spoiling her oscar with RODI water :D
Did you guys buy it as a baby?

It wasn't the smallest when we got him I'll attach the photos below

Well the RODI was totally for my tank ;p mainly because it cost me $9-$12 per trip in gas to get water. but I want to run it in all the tanks so I feel like I make my money back faster on the investment. Plus I want to see if it improves my plant growth or fish coloration (we just lost one of our cichlids possibly due to water condition or due to stress from the oscar). I got my dad some dwarf baby tears for his birthday and they grow insanely slow and he was using CO2. I was going to even bring him some water and see if we see any change in growth.

We got the fish tank when we first got married with our wedding money. Then about a year later we had a billion baby fish. So the next year we changed it to a cichlid tank from the community.

Here is the fish before we bagged him.
IMG_2568.JPG

Here is some of his population control food.
IMG_2566.JPG

So you can see some of the fish we had before I moved them. After we moved we got the oscar.

IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG

And just so everyone knows how easy fresh water is I do water changes like 4 times a year and I over stock the crap out of my tanks. Here is the planted tank as of yesterday with the oscars food inside.

IMG_2559.JPG

I think he is going to be fine. Starting to swim around and pick on the other fish. Lol crazy fish. :)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a freshwater fish expert, but the trace element mix is misleading. The science article it references lists all elements that are needed, and the article discusses them in the context of foods, not just the water. I would not assume they are needed in the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back