Trachyphyllia potentiel bleach?

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8505.jpeg
IMG_8504.jpeg

So i Got this trachy about a month ago, and today it showed bleaching signs on the upper parts of the coral. All other corals Seem happy (trachys, scolys, favias, montis, torches, hammers, acros) .

Any advice What to do?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching can be caused by too high light, too high temperature, (pretty sure too high ph, what are your parameters) and IME pest irritation (in trachys things like gall crabs and boring clams)

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8508.png
Got this picture of the underside
I don't see any obvious signs of boring clams, though they'll also present themselves as slits/holes in the mantle/wall that resemble mouths, gall crabs will make holes on the inner wall of the polyp. Ph and alk are fine, so my next guess would be temp or lighting, what's the PAR at where the trachy is? What about temp? Transitioning them from a environment that had much lower light/temp can cause bleaching/recession even if other trachys in your tank are fine. Can you spot any of those holes?

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what did it's color look like before? When corals are bleaching they'll release an abnormal amount of waste that looks like coral poop however much more frequently. It'll be sort of chunky and look like the free floating algae/diatoms that you get after scraping the glass (that, of course is the zooanthelle).

Also what are your other parameters (like po4, no3, calcium, magnesium, salinity ect) any major parameter swings lately? Specifically alk or pH? It's either lobos or trachys (or both) that are sensitive to swings of those parameters

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what did it's color look like before? When corals are bleaching they'll release an abnormal amount of waste that looks like coral poop however much more frequently. It'll be sort of chunky and look like the free floating algae/diatoms that you get after scraping the glass (that, of course is the zooanthelle).

Also what are your other parameters (like po4, no3, calcium, magnesium, salinity ect) any major parameter swings lately? Specifically alk or pH? It's either lobos or trachys (or both) that are sensitive to swings of those parameters
So I Figured it was due to excessive light. I put it under some rock and now it is doing something none of my other trachys has done before… is this bad?
image.jpg

You can’t really see it in the photo but it looked like it was blowing up as much as it swelled

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back