Trade with person who has flat worm outbreak?

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been offered a trade of red hornets for my utter chaos.

The issue is that this guy (another site) has a recent thread about a significant flat worm infestation.

Can melafix dip kill flat worms?

Should I just not make the trade for now?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your getting a ton of red hornets for utter chaos it is not even worth it. The UC are worth way more

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a dip in a high dose of flatworm exit and QT the coral for a bit. Do the treatment a couple times or until you see no flatworms fall off. Make sure it is a fresh frag too. If it isn't, look for the eggs.

debdp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit risky. If you don't already have a QT set up and running, then setting one up and treating the corals could be a double whammy. Some zoas can be very sensitive to changes. So by adding them to a new setup and treating with chemicals they could simply melt and you may end up with nothing. Secondly, if you do manage to keep them all and move them to your tank, there's the possibility that you didn't get all the flatworms and end up with an outbreak in your main tank.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldnt trade 3 UC for 3 RH...even with some fruit loops and fruity pebbles thrown in.

As for the common flatworm...no big deal IMO. Simple dips should rid you of any unwanted FW's before you put them in your tank.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the risk even though dips can sole the problem.. UC are going for a bill a pop right now I wouldn't do it If you still want to do the trade Ill do the exact same for you with no flat worms... I have a whole bunch of fruit loops and red hornets and ill throw in some 3maryjanes and some 1 jokers and two polyps of pixie

OP
OP
M

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the replys.

I bought the utter chaos from a vendor on this site. The vendor was selling for $100 pp. Since I was buying a $400 pack, he offered me a discount on the utter chaos.

Swich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it unless you have a hospital tank you can quarantine them in to get rid of any unwanted pests.

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a good deal for you.RH you can get for 20 a pop.some even have it for 15 a pop.Cheapest i've seen a UC for is 65 a pop

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with flatworms is that they can reconstitute themselves from a single cell. This makes them very hard to completely eradicate. Then again, I have these simple red planaria in my sump, they cause no harm whatsoever.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you know someone who still has Marin oomed medication it will kill flatworms in seconds and does not hurt the coral as a dip. You have not been able to find the stuff for years but old timers usually still have the stuff.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back