Votes: 59 51.8%

• Total voters

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a 200 gallon deep dimension. I have an existing 75 gallon reef tank. Everything from the 75 will be transferred to the 200, except a few soft corals, that I don't want in the 200, and a couple of fish that aren't compatible with my future plans...lol.

My question is regarding the sand bed. I originally set up a semi-shallow sand bed, about 2" deep, in the 75. This was about 3 years ago. In that time, the sand bed has been stirred up quite well, by quite a few Nassarius snails and even more so, by my Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair. The Pistol Shrimp is constantly moving the sand bed around and piling it up in places.

The 300 has a footprint of 48"X36". The amount of sand in the 75 would give me about 1" or so, if transferred.

However, I've heard both good and bad of re-using sand beds, so am coming here for advice!!!

Any thoughts!!!???

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it plenty of times as well... I just keep the sand right in the tnak and keep a little water in the tank.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before without rinsing before I knew what I was doing and it worked out fine for me...

Are you going to add more sand with the old sand? 1" sandbed doesn't sound like it would make the pistol/goby happy if you plan on keeping them in the new tank...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is always so nasty that I go with new! HA!

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transfered once with old sand everthing was fine. I did rinse with tank water. Transfered a second time, different tank and old sand, not so fine. Lost a beautiful angel and several other fish. Debbie

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I figure if I'm setting up a new, ultra cool tank like you, I'd want new clean sand.
I'd keep a few lbs ( 5-6) of it and rinse it real good with tank water and add it to the new.

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time I re-used old sand, I rinsed and cleaned it ALOT with hose water.

But that's just me. I'm weird about transferring potential problems.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would still be some "dead spots" in the sand bed from rocks sitting on top of it etc. If you need to keep your parameters totally in check, I wouldn't tranfer the sand since you'll almost def. see a small ammo spike. That said, if you can wait a for a week or 2 for a mini-cycle, keep it all.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have transfered sand in the past as well. Just be sure to rinse it before putting it in the new tank. Also I would use the older sand on the bottom and the newer sand on the top. I did this just for looks if the older sand was really bad looking. But why waste it in my opinion? Especially if your going to be adding more.

Eric

revo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you doing a shallow or a deep sandbed? If you are doing a shallow then I would take 10lbs rinsed real well with the old tank water and add it. Otherwise, rinse it several times w/fresh water to remove any waste and let dry. Then add it as new sand.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have transferred, but I clean the sand and let roast in the sun for a day

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the existing is an established deep sand bed you will have anaerobic bacteria present which will get disturbed in the move since you will be exposing it to oxygen. As much as I hate rinsing sand, for a DSB you want the finer materials you loose when you rinse them away, it would be best to rinse it with fresh water to kill off any potential problems. Keep some live to seed the new sand but rinse the rest.

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinse many times until clean. i don't think it's necessary to let it dry before using but you want to remove all the silt and nastiness that's in it

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back