transfering to bigger

Shesame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone !
sorry for the error my first langage is french !

So 2 months ago my 70 gallons only fish tank crack and I add to act quick so I transferred the fish and some of the water in a 20 gallons aquariums that I had. I took all the the equipment and put it in the 20 gallon. I bought a new 70 gallons but I want to know if i cant put 30 gallon of new saltwater and add the 20 gallons of old water that I have. Will it recycle ? cause i only have the equipment for one tank i cant afford to by a another one, so i cant run 2 tank at the same time for the 70 gallons to cycle ? what can I do ? Maybe just fill 50/50 in the beginning and add more each week ?

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria driving the nitrogen cycle are mostly attached to surfaces. Depending on what sorts of filters you have, those may provide a significant amount of ammonia reduction capability.

But in many cases, the live rock and sand may be a predominant holder of such bacteria. So where ever that goes, the cycle goes with it.

Moving rock and sand will also crush a bunch of smaller organisms and itself cause some ammonia and potential recycling.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back