Treating "new" DT with Copper or Treat in QT

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After purchasing fish from a reputable online store that guarantees quarantined fish, my tank recently had an outbreak of Ich. I'm wondering if it will be easier to just pull the corals out of the DT, which it isn't much. Everything is still on plugs or keep trying to trap the fish and move them to the QT? I've been trying to trap the fish for over a day using various methods and sizes of fish traps but none are working with me which is why I came up with the idea of treating the Display Tank after moving the corals and inverts out and just treating the DT and then do a 14 day observation while I do water changes and run Cuprisorb and Carbon.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT! You don't want to treat a DT for a couple reasons. The rock/sand can absord copper and then slowly release it over time "poisoning" any inverts. And the other reason is that it's difficult if not impossible maintaining proper copper levels with the absorption/interaction of the copper with rock and sand. You want a QT with inert items in it that won't effect copper levels....things like PVC pipe for the fish to hind and sleep.

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT! You don't want to treat a DT for a couple reasons. The rock/sand can absord copper and then slowly release it over time "poisoning" any inverts. And the other reason is that it's difficult if not impossible maintaining proper copper levels with the absorption/interaction of the copper with rock and sand. You want a QT with inert items in it that won't effect copper levels....things like PVC pipe for the fish to hind and sleep.
Is there another method that I can do for catching the fish? I was going to drain the tank and catch them at this rate. I have tried the small, medium and large IceCap fish traps with bait. I was also thinking of getting egg crate and then move the rocks so where I can block the fish on one side and then try and catch that way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Leave corals in tank and remove fish for treatment in a separate quarantine setting and treat with coppersafe for a full 30 days at treatment level 2.25-2.5 for a full 30 days monitoring levels with Hanna copper test kit and also monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave corals in tank and remove fish for treatment in a separate quarantine setting and treat with coppersafe for a full 30 days at treatment level 2.25-2.5 for a full 30 days monitoring levels with Hanna copper test kit and also monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit
Getting the fish out is the part I am having issues with now :/

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success with a DIY bottle trap.....I talk about it HERE. With any trap, it does take patience and time. I mentally make it a game when trying to trap fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Naso Tang, Sailfin, Yellow Coris, Six Line, Hawk and a Diamond Goby
Bottle trap will not work- you will need fish trap
Call local LFS to see if they have a loaner unit otherwise you may have to resort to rock removal and netting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not move the corals out and run your DT with hyposalinity? If you catch it soon enough, you can control ich very well that way, and not have to worry about copper contamination:

Jay

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not move the corals out and run your DT with hyposalinity? If you catch it soon enough, you can control ich very well that way, and not have to worry about copper contamination:

Jay
I was going to hopefully treat for velvet, too. Just get the tank disease free so I can stock back up.
Bottle trap will not work- you will need fish trap
Call local LFS to see if they have a loaner unit otherwise you may have to resort to rock removal and netting
I have all three sizes of the IceCap Traps. I think rock removal and netting is the next step which isn't a bad thing. Other than everyone compliments me on the rock work but at least I have 80 days to get more rock and do more with it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was going to hopefully treat for velvet, too. Just get the tank disease free so I can stock back up.

I have all three sizes of the IceCap Traps. I think rock removal and netting is the next step which isn't a bad thing. Other than everyone compliments me on the rock work but at least I have 80 days to get more rock and do more with it.
Copper will also address velvet
Great to hear on traps

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Copper will also address velvet
Great to hear on traps
My wife and I were able to get all the fish out and into a QT. I cranked the tank temperature up to 82 and going to way about 90 days before adding the fish back in.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My wife and I were able to get all the fish out and into a QT. I cranked the tank temperature up to 82 and going to way about 90 days before adding the fish back in.
Assure with higher temps you have added an air stone to increase oxygen often decreased by higher temps.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I meant to say I cranked the temp up in the DT but there is an airstone in the QT which is also sitting right at 80-82
Ok, great. At 82, it will shorten the cycle of parasite life cycle - You really want them dead LOL

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, great. At 82, it will shorten the cycle of parasite life cycle - You really want them dead LOL
I'm still wanting to go 90 days fallow....

I lost a White Tail, Gem Tang, Powder Blue, both clowns and a foxface... All were "quarantined" from the place I got them from.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will not need to leave the tank fallow for 90 days at 82 degrees - the minimum at that temperature would be 45 days, but 60 days is safer. 90 is much longer than you need to do.

Jay

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not need to leave the tank fallow for 90 days at 82 degrees - the minimum at that temperature would be 45 days, but 60 days is safer. 90 is much longer than you need to do.

Jay
Yes sir! 60 days it is. Is it safe to leave the fish in the QT with copper for 60 days?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back