Tridacna nutrient uptake

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to what people’s experience with clams are concerning their impact on dissolved nutrients. Some papers and forum posts suggest that they are highly effective at sequestering nitrates and phosphates, and I’d like to know how well they work in practical environments.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 large maximas one is 6" the other is 8". I've never noticed any type of reduction in nutrients. You may see this more with other clam species that are primarily filter feeding but these clams pull nearly all their energy from the lights. Phosphates in my system are .5(that's not a typo its .5) and that's the lowest it's been in the last year. Nitrates sit around 30.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no impact at all. I've heard of tanks that are filled with clams which will have an impact on the system, but adding just one, or a few, will have no noticeable impact on nutrient reduction. Remember, they get more than 100% of their energy from light, so they don't need anything else. .

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no impact at all. I've heard of tanks that are filled with clams which will have an impact on the system, but adding just one, or a few, will have no noticeable impact on nutrient reduction. Remember, they get more than 100% of their energy from light, so they don't need anything else. .
That's the point. Photosynthesis needs nitrogen to function because it's a component of chlorophyll, and that's why I asked about Tridacna specifically instead of tropical oysters, although I don't doubt the filtering capacity of tropical oysters and mussels.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater clams like you'd find in a supermarket is usually what I hear about when I hear of biofiltration. (not anything from the giant clams). The nutrient demands of giant clams are primarily met through a lot of light and suspended phytoplankton, and I would not rely on nor expect a small clam to make a significant impact on nutrient levels.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the point. Photosynthesis needs nitrogen to function because it's a component of chlorophyll, and that's why I asked about Tridacna specifically instead of tropical oysters, although I don't doubt the filtering capacity of tropical oysters and mussels.
Tbf, I thought you meant clams in general also, at first.

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard large gigas are capable of stripping a significant amount of nutrients from a system, but I don't think you're going to see anything noticeable from the smaller species like maxima/crocea in a normal reef tank.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will uptake both N & P, but for them to impact the overall levels would take a large number of them or very large clam for that to be noticed. It also depends on their growth rate, etc…. If keeping a few clams, I don’t think you would notice any difference at all.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of clams, how do non - photosynthetic clams filter the water? I was under the impression that they would end up producing nitrates and phosphates as they filter organics from the water, but I’m not certain if that is the case.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard large gigas are capable of stripping a significant amount of nutrients from a system, but I don't think you're going to see anything noticeable from the smaller species like maxima/crocea in a normal reef tank.
The papers I read are mostly regarding gigas… so yes, there could very well be a difference across species or size.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back